Skip to main content

No Slavery Allowed

                 And there was a great outcry of the people and their wives against their Jewish brethren For there were those who said, “We, our sons, and our daughters are many, therefore, let us get grain, that we may eat and live.”

There were also some who said, “We have borrowed money for the king’s tax on our lands and vineyards. Yet now our flesh is as the flesh of our brethren, our children as their children, and indeed we are forcing our sons and daughters to be slaves, and some of our daughters have been brought into slavery. It is not in our power to redeem them, for other men have our lands and vineyards.” (Nehemiah 5:1-5)

 

The parallel I’m going to present isn’t exact, but when one is pursuing goals, sometimes the focus becomes so closely associated with reaching those goals that the preferences, desires, and needs of others get ignored. Those around us become slaves to our hopes and dreams far beyond what is reasonable. I’m reminded of the character in Bleak House, Mrs. Jellyby, who was so involved in raising money to send to mission work in Africa that she didn’t notice that her children were suffering from neglect. The stereotype is that when someone goes on a diet, the whole household is forced onto the diet. I don’t think I was ever quite that bad, but more than once, I told my father that if he wanted ice cream, to get a flavor he liked but I didn’t.

As we consider goals for 2022, we should be careful that our goals don’t enslave the whole household or go beyond what the members of the household have agreed to. It might be acceptable to ask them to forego some of what they enjoy, but never all of what they enjoy, and ever any of what they need.

Similarly, when we strive to accomplish our goals, there are other parts of our lives that may have to accept a lower priority. The challenge is to find ways to meet the needs of those parts. They may not be the most important thing in your life, but ignoring their needs leads to burn out.

I tend to have two modes – long-hauler and 30-second time-limit. I worked on family history for 20 years. I eat basically the same breakfast, the same lunch, and sometimes for dinner for months or years. But if the switch that engages the long-haul doesn’t get flipped, I have no patience, no tolerance, no endurance. Sometimes, it’s sometimes easy to shut down everything but the goal. Other times, it’s impossible, and I’m convinced that’s at least partly because the rest of me is exhausted.

One of our goals as we strive to achieve our goals should be to learn to do it with love for God, for our neighbors, family, and friends, and for ourselves.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t