Skip to main content

Don't You Remember?

             Do you still not understand? Don’t you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered?  (Matthew 16:9-10)

          So you don’t have to look it up, those events took place in the last two chapters. Technically, we don’t know exactly when they took place within the ministry of Jesus, but we do know they happened less than three years from Jesus’ crucifixion, and they were sufficiently significant that the disciples should have remembered.

          In fact, I suspect they did remember, but that more than one of them wondered why Jesus was mentioning that in their current circumstances. What did that that have to do with the fact that right now, Jesus was talking about bread, and they had neither loaves, fishes, or thousands to feed.

          This is one of the problems we face in paying attention. We may remember when Jesus did something in our lives, but we don’t see how it applies to anything except the specific event itself, or perhaps to similar events. We fail, in short, to learn to the point of wisdom.  We either fail to connect things that should be, or we leap to conclusions and connections that aren’t there.

          Two suggestions come to mind in the combat of our failure to pay this sort of attention, and both are a form of study. The first is to examine Scripture, to become so intimate with it that we can notice the connections. The second is to study lives and histories of those who have lived before us – both Christian and non-Christian, alive or dead, as intimate as ourselves or complete strangers.  We can learn from their experience, or ours. But it’s hard to learn if we don’t remember, or make the connections. That’s why it’s so vital to write a journal. It doesn’t have to be a literary masterpiece. It should be a record of what happened, what decisions you made, and things that you want to work on. It may include victories, failures, insights, and questions.

          I’m working on this again. I decided I wanted to record what I read, watched, heard, and wrote. I probably should write down everything I eat, but at the moment, I’ll settle for getting a battery in the scale and including my weight. I may even try to come up with a form so I can just fill in the blanks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t