Skip to main content

From Him...

              I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours.  All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled. (John 17:9-12)

 

            From His celebration with and of the Father, Jesus turns his attention to His disciples. He was coming to the end when He could return to the Father, but His disciples would remain in the world because they had His work to carry on. That would place them in conflict with the world. As He contemplates His victory, He also lovingly thinks ahead to the needs of those reunited with God through Him. He prays for the Father to protect them as He had been protecting them.

This morning that brings to mind the question of how He protected them – and how He protects us. As far as Scripture makes clear, the only weapon Jesus ever wielded as a weapon was words. The temptation in the desert and the struggle in the olive garden were intense. Still, there was no swashbuckling, no parkour maneuvers, no angelic cavalry charging to the rescue – only Calvary. Instead, we find teaching, correction, rebukes, encouragement, challenges, and occasional miracles, most of which were done to/for other people. It might be said that a good chunk of Jesus’ protection of His disciples (and us) involved protecting them (us) from themselves (ourselves.)

It's possible that the attacks from which He protected them from attacks by the devil or his followers and that Jesus did battle “in the heavenly places” against the Evil One(s) with the spiritual equivalent of armor and weapons. Maybe the spiritual swashbuckling happened, but what we’re told is that, rather than attacking the enemy directly, He built up the strength and defenses of His disciples. To draw on a song that was popular for a time, He didn’t calm the storm so often as He called His child, and He didn’t calm His child as often as He tried to excite His child to faith.

And then He says something that should encourage us. “None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction that Scripture may be fulfilled.” As a quick note, there doesn’t seem to be any rancor toward Judas here. It seems more to be pity. If there had been a way to save Judas from himself and therefore, from Satan, that would have been Jesus’ preference, but it could not be.

More importantly, however, we have the assurance that none of those entrusted to Him had been lost except Judas. No matter how miserable a failure we may think ourselves (or others) none of those the Father gave Jesus have been lost except Judas. That’s something we would do well to remind ourselves when we find we’re under attack or attacking ourselves.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t