Skip to main content

Glorify Him

             “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. (John 17:1-2)

 

            Generally, we refer to “the Lord’s Prayer” as the teaching example Jesus gave to His disciples: Matthew 6:9-13. But this “High Priestly Prayer” is what the Lord prayed. They both begin with the Father, whether shared (our Father) or not (Father.)

            He seems to skip the “hallowed by thy name” part and jump straight to the “Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done part.” The hour had come. What hour? Clearly, there had been a discussion of “the hour” before. There is an assumption of agreement and expected mutual cooperation and acknowledgment of collaboration. It’s all cyclical. Glorify…that I may glorify You. For You gave…that I may give… to those given to me.

            What does it mean to glorify someone? According to the Oxford Dictionary, it means to praise or worship God, to describe or represent as admirable. Jesus was calling on the Father to praise him, to worship him, to put him forth as being worthy and admirable so that Jesus could praise him, worship him, and put him forth as being worthy and admirable.

               Sadly, and naturally, we don’t tend to do a good job of glorifying God or even of wanting our glory to glorify Him. If we get together, we can whoop it up and act like we’re at a pep rally. If we listen to music, we might sing along and sing His praises. Some say, “It was God” when they are complimented for something. I’m not saying that any of those things are bad or wrong, but I wonder whether those things glorify God. Or, if they do, do they glorify Him as much as, perhaps, our turning to Him for help or admission that we are weak.

            In His prayer, Jesus could ask God to glorify Him because He was at the point of going to the cross. I suspect I’m not at a point where I can ask God to glorify me so that I can glorify Him – but I can ask Him to glorify Himself in and through me and to teach me how to glorify Him.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...