Skip to main content

Hagar

             She gave this name to the Lord who spoke to her: “You are the God who sees me,” for she said, “I have now seen the One who sees me.” (Genesis 16:13) 

            “The God who sees me” is El Roi in Hebrew. It is found in the story of Hagar, a historic “Handmaid” of the sort from Handmaid’s Tale. She’s a surrogate mother who makes a bad situation worse by getting a big head because she got pregnant, and Sarai didn’t. For her part, Sarai was the sort of person in this story that we’re told we shouldn’t be – the wicked stepmother, the evil queen. Hagar ran away, which means she went from bad to worse. Her situation with Sarai wasn’t good, but now she had no one to protect her, no one to provide for her, no place to live, no food to eat. Then she met God.

            The place of the meeting was a spring along the road to Shur. As I read this passage, my thoughts turned to another encounter at a spring between God and a woman - spring had been developed into a well. And the woman who came to it may have been trying to escape, too. She went in the heat of the day to escape the women who would judge her and gossip about her. She may have also gone there to escape from the man who was not her husband.

            And Jesus didn’t rescue her from the townsfolk or her non-husband. He told her to go get her husband. Curiously, in the description of what she did as a result, no mention is made of the man who was not her husband. When she returned to town, she told them He had told her everything she’d ever done. We don’t see that in the passage, but in doing that, He revealed Himself as El Roi to her.

            In both cases, the woman who was seen by the God who sees me was seen and sent back in the strength and knowledge of having been seen – with the task of ministering to the very people who made her want to flee.

            Working at a garden center, I see a lot of people who are trying to build springs and wells – places to which they can escape from inconsiderate, domineering masters, from coworkers and townsfolk who live nearby (neighbors) who judge, criticize, and gossip, from the stresses of the world, and threats of lack. When we’re in trouble, we welcome God seeing us, because we hope to be rescued. But God doesn’t provide her with a hunk-in-shining-armor, or a palace along the Nile. He sends her back to reconcile with Sarai. But I suspect it was on the strength of His being the God who sees her that she could do so.

            This is something I’ve pondered off and on since my father died. What do I want my home to be? And this is it. It’s a spring in a desert, to which I can flee from the world, from the folks who judge and criticize…encounter the God who sees me, and then return to minister to those who have made me want to flee. But as much work as I might to do to make it a spring in the desert, if it is not a place where God sees me, it’s a mudpuddle. After slipping around on clay in the last couple of days in an attempt to build a garden bed, that isn’t very appealing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t