Skip to main content

Optical Illusions

 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (I Corinthians 1:18)

 



 

            Optical illusions are fun. The one above is famous. Is it a picture of a girl or an old crone? For some folks, it is definitely one or the other and even if you show them both, they won’t see it. But when you finally see the second image, it’s almost transformative. Technically, it’s a paradigm shift, but another name for it is the “A Ha! Moment.”

            Today’s passage speaks of a sort of optical illusion. Some people look at the cross, and see foolishness. How could anyone believe that someone who died came back to life? How could anyone believe that His doing so could be the key to anything? How could His death and resurrection have anything to do with our lives? How can you even say there is anything beyond the material universe? All that stuff Christians talk about is just n.o.n.s.e.n.s.e.

            Until you see it. And once some see it, they can’t see the other way anymore. A new world has opened to them, and not only do they not want to go back, but they can’t seem to see what they saw before. And some people who have come to see the power of God in it all can also see the foolishness. This is why I find it amusing when someone tells me that I just don’t understand anything about evolution, or the material universe, etc.

            Put simply, if evolution and materialism were true, the universe would look the way the universe looks. But if God created the heavens and the earth, and man in His image, then the universe at least could look the way the universe looks.

            But the optical illusion effect isn’t only found between those outside of the faith and those among the faithful. Within some supposedly scientific circles is the question of nature v nurture. Within Christian circles, there are questions about things like free will and total depravity.

            And when it gets personal, there are questions like “Does God care?” and “Is God involved in my life?” I suspect the problem is that we can’t see past the “old crone” to see the young lady. Maybe the problem isn’t with what we’re seeing so much as in how we see it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t