Skip to main content

Mercy 2

             David said to Gad, “I am in deep distress. Let me fall into the hands of the Lord, for his mercy is very great; but do not let me fall into human hands.” (I Chronicles 21:13)

             For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings. (Hosea 6:6)

             Mercy: compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.

 

            As promised, today’s topic is mercy. The unofficial definition is above, but often, I hear grace described as our getting what we don’t deserve, and mercy as our not getting what we do deserve. When I referred to God showing me mercy yesterday, I was correct, because I don’t deserve to be allowed to live, let alone to build garden beds. God caused the rain to stop getting in my way. But I was also incorrect. God gave me a couple of hours to work on the garden that I didn’t deserve. While we differentiate between them, I suspect the real difference is in our perception. We’re back to optical illusions. Is it a young woman (grace) or an old crone (mercy)?  Yes.

          A second idea comes from the definition. Mercy can only be shown by someone who has the power to punish or harm. I don’t know about you, but I see myself as being very limited in my ability to punish or harm. I’m probably very wrong in this, because there are thousands of ways that we can punish or harm others, sometimes without knowing it. But in general, a police office or teacher has more ability and opportunity to show mercy. A judge or school principal has even more. A husband/wife, or father/mother have more than I have. And God has the most of all.

          There’s a detail in this that is easy to miss. If you have the power to harm or punish, who do you harm or punish and why? If you’re a world-class jerk, you harm or punish anyone, for no reason or for a purely selfish reason. Better folks tend to harm or punish someone whom they believe deserves it. But what do you do about the person who doesn’t deserve it? If you withhold punishment or harm from someone who has done nothing to deserve harm or punishment, are you being merciful? Or are you being just?

          For God to be merciful, we must be able to deserve punishment – and we have all sinned and fall short of the glory of God. When someone asks how a good and omnipotent God can allow evil, this is at least one piece of the answer. He doesn’t have to require evil to exist or reward those who do it for doing it, but if He does not allow people to have the capacity to do evil, or to do it, He cannot demonstrate mercy to anyone.

          At the same time, mercy isn’t mercy if it ignores the harm done to others. Mercy can’t exist if there is no justice, because justice is mercy to those who have been harmed or punished by others without deserving it (or greater than what is deserved.)

          Another interesting detail is found in David’s comment about wanting to fall into the hands of the Lord, whose mercy is great. But he didn’t want to fall into human hands. The implication is that humans are insufficiently merciful. I suspect we’ve all experienced that.

          And that brings me back to “Have mercy on me, Lord!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t