Skip to main content

Your Own Understanding

             Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding (Proverbs 3:5)

 

          I should write about this verse at least once each month. Today, there are two ideas demanding attention. First, this passage isn’t talking about throwing rationality out the window. This passage is not about doing things that make no sense just because we’re not supposed to lean on our understanding. It should not be part of our daily goal to leap off a building to prove we aren’t leaning on our understanding that gravity works. That would be another matter if God should specifically and clearly ask or command you to jump off the building.

          The second idea is that if and when God asks or commands me to do something that doesn’t make sense, and I trust Him rather than leaning on my own understanding, I am sacrificing something valuable to me. I suppose that other people may not put such a significant focus on the mental aspect of things, but I tend to. Some folks say I overthink. I counter the possibility that they simply don’t think. For me, understanding is ultimately a matter of control, so accepting “not understanding” is a huge sacrifice. If I give up the right or need to understand, I also give up the right or need to approve.

          And here is the issue – the problem – the area in which I am struggling. I have a part-time job for which I haven’t been scheduled yet. I may get some work done on my garden slowly, but for the most part, gardening is weeks away. I still have some unpacking to do…but I’m not busy.  I’m stressed because I’m not stressed. In a way, I’m on vacation. I get to take a rest. And I’m afraid that I’ll get lazy or bored or that God will choose this time to focus on some things that I generally keep myself too busy to consider.

 

Comments

  1. Maybe he is telling you to take this time for you , spend it taking care of you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t