Skip to main content

Died as a Ransom

             For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)

 

            This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.

            I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday School answer, and it’s a good answer.

            But when it comes to sins committed against me, what punishment do I think sufficient? Really. Is it a capital crime against me? Do I want the person to rot in hell? Would I be satisfied with a billion dollars? A million? A thousand? A hundred? A penny? Do I want to humiliate the person? Have them grovel in the dirt begging my forgiveness? Thinking over some of the things that have hurt me, two of the biggest things I seem to want are 1) for them to stop – and then start treating me as a valued person (repentance), and 2) for them to acknowledge and agree that it was wrong. (confession.)  But what if the sin committed against me were worse? Would that be sufficient for rape? For crippling me in some way? I don’t know, but the ultimate payment we could ask is for capital punishment. They should die for what they did – preferably a painful death that leads to an eternity of punishment.

            And the question God asked me tonight is, “Are you willing to accept Jesus’ death on the cross as that payment?”

           And one of my answers is, “No, because the person who sinned against me hasn’t acknowledged his/her sin against me.” Another is, “No, because I want the person who sinned against me to die a thousand times.” For X? X is so minor. Hardly a capital crime. A court of law might laugh the matter off, or assign 1 hour of community service, but I want more. But if God considered it sufficient payment, what does it say of me to want greater? What greater could there be? And if I am angry because Jesus paying the price means that the sinner didn’t have to, what does that say of me?

Comments

  1. Good point and forgiveness is the answer but a hard thing to do when we are hurt. I know a woman who held unto unforgiveness for forty some years and her head layed on her . Unforgiveness can hurt us if we don't forgive!shoulder just like someone had taken it off and placed it there. She finally forgave the man that had hurt her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Hearts

                    Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it . (Proverbs 4:23) The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (Jeremiah 17:9) “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. (Matthew 23:27)           We all like to see ourselves as pretty good folks. We’re not perfect. We may even admit that we are sinners saved by grace, but we’re not murderers, rapists, or abusers of children, women, or animals. Some of us alternate this view with the conviction that we are miserable, worthless worms who can’t do anything right, but at least we’re not murderers, rapists, or abusers of children, women, or animals. You can add whatever horrible thing that you don’t do to the list. It always proves that we aren’t as bad as we could be.  At the very least, our int