Skip to main content

God's Love

             The earth is filled with your love, Lord; teach me your decrees. (Psalm 119:64)

             Yesterday, we considered why we love God. Today’s verse from Biblegateway.com turns the tables. God’s love fills the world. As we look around the world, two uncomfortable questions come to mind:

            Is this what love looks like? The place is a mess!

          The place is a mess! Why should God love it?

          This is an old problem. If God is good and omnipotent, why is there suffering or evil? The fact that there is suffering and evil means that God is not good, or not omnipotent, or neither. If He loved us, He’d make everything just the way we think it should be. And, as noted yesterday, part of how it should be may well involve our being able to hold our heads up and meet with Him as equals. Why wouldn’t He want us to be His equals?

          Whether or not He might want to, He can’t. When we say God can do all things, we’re talking about things that can be done. If He created us as His equal, we would be nothing more (or less) than part of Him. How does one create more of what is already all?  And it really doesn’t matter how much “less” we are. We would still claim it was evidence of God not loving us as He should.

          When someone has a child, is it a sign that the parent doesn’t love the child if the parent doesn’t treat the child as an equal? Does the parent fail to love the child if the parent withholds something until the child learns to crawl or walk over to take it – or until the child can understand and use it responsibly? Most of us would say it’s not unloving, but the children experiencing the “deprivation” are likely to think it is.

          As I think about today’s verse, one of my current obsessions comes to mind. When COVID-19 hit, I went into an “I’m not prepared for emergencies” mode. I knew there were plants in my yard that I could eat if everything fell apart, and started learning about some of them. There are nearly 400,000 species of plants in the world. Half to three-quarters of them are edible by humans, but we eat about 200 of them, and three (3!) account for more than half of our caloric intake of plants (Wheat, rice & corn.) In fact, one of the plants that isn’t really useful to us is one that we seem to think we absolutely must make as the primary plant in our yards: grass.

          George Washington Carver explored at least 300 ways to use peanut plants. What would happen if we explored other plants with as much interest? As a small example, do you know that you can make a coffee substitute, a noodle substitute, a honey substitute, and a spinach substitute out of a dandelion? Have you tried dandelion tea? Dandelion blossom muffins or bread? Dandelion wine? Without going into medicinal uses and referring only to human use of the plant, I’m only scratching the surface of what the humble dandelion can do for us. That’s just one plant of the 400,000. A boy might think he was really loved if he were given one of those knives with all those other tools, too. It’s just one example of how much good is stuffed into the world for our benefit. Yes, the world is full of God’s love if we only bother to open our eyes and see.

          

Comments

  1. Our sermon today was about God’s
    eleventh commandment:
    Love the Lord with all your heart, and with all your mind, with all your soul
    and all your strength. And love your
    neighbor as yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a good sermon, but Jesus taught that "the eleventh commandment" that you learned about is actually the first and most important commandment, because the Ten Commandments are just examples of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t