Skip to main content

Help!

              Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (II Corinthians 12:8-10) 

            No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. (I Corinthians 10:13)

 

            “God will never give you more than you can handle.” That might not be the exact quote, but it’s close. Even if it’s not quite right, it doesn’t matter because it’s pure nonsense. It’s based on the second passage quoted above, which talks only about temptations. Even then, it’s not that God won’t allow temptations that are beyond our capacity to endure. But He will provide a way out so that we can endure it. The two are not the same. We were never meant to handle things on our own.

            With that as our foundation, today’s primary passage has to do with Paul having done/experienced something so spectacular that he might be tempted to think he was something special. God had worked miracles through Paul, but no matter how much Paul prayed, God declined to take away the thorn. In fact, God told him to stop asking. That means one of the reasons God allows or causes bad things to happen to good people is to protect them from themselves.

            How hard is it for you to ask someone for help? What kinds of help can you ask for, and what kinds can’t you? I have spent the last four year trying to become more competent…self-sufficient…in control. And God has blessed quite a bit of what I’ve done. But His blessing has required that I ask for help. Sometimes, it’s easy. Sometimes, it’s a thorn in my flesh. Why must I be so weak that I can’t do it by myself?

            One reason is that – if I could do it all for myself, I’d get a swelled head. “No, Daddy. I do it myself!” Another reason can be found if I turn the situation around. How do I feel when repairmen come to do work on my house? I have worked very hard on walking away and letting them do their job unhindered by my “help.”

            I know God doesn’t need to be needed the way we tend to. He doesn’t need to help. But I suspect He experiences joy in doing it, probably more than I do. And how selfish of me to deny others the opportunity to have some of that kind of joy just so I can be seen as competent.

            I’m not sure this is what Paul meant by “when I am weak, then I am strong.” But consider how much strength of will it requires to not step in and do something for someone, especially when they’re doing it “wrong.” Consider how much strength it takes to admit to someone whose respect you want that you need help. Turning to God for help may not show the weakness some suggest. It can be one of the hardest things to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t