Skip to main content

Faith

           Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for. (Hebrews 11:1-2)

 

          Let’s get my pet peeve with these verses out of the way. Some people say that these verses define faith. They say faith is confidence and assurance. Well, what are confidence and assurance? Some would say, “Trust.” OK, what is trust? “Well, faith.” Using another word that means approximately the same doesn’t really define the term. I love these verses, but they don’t really define faith. Fortunately, the rest of the chapter illustrates it so we see what it looks like even if we don’t understand what it is.

          And as I’ve spent yet another half day bouncing from one task to the next without getting much done, I asked God to talk to me about faith while I made a Strawberry-Zucchini loaf, because I have to use those up! As I dumped this and that into a bowl and used beaters to mix them together, God asked me why I was following the recipe.

          Why do we follow recipes or instructions? Why do we watch tutorial videos? Why did Americans spend 9.9 billion dollars on self-improvement books, videos, programs, aps, etc. in 2019? I suspect it’s because we have faith – or at least hope – that if we do what the recipe tells us to do that the combination will result in something that ends up in a useful form, that tastes good, and nourishes us in some way. I followed the recipe (well, as much as I ever do) because I want a loaf of strawberry-zucchini bread to share with family and I believe…trust… hope that what the recipe says to do will produce that.

          I’ve said before that when it comes to trusting God, it’s not some constant vague feeling. We trust God for things, in situations, through circumstances, or to speak or act. In a sense, we trust God (or perhaps should trust God) the way we trust recipes. Whatever the steps are that we are supposed to do we do (and prayer is the big one here) we do them with the belief that there will be a certain outcome or kind of outcome. Whether we trust that He will, or won’t, we’re still trusting. But, if we go back and forth… He will… He won’t…He might…He might not – that is not trusting.

          And if we think of it that way, it might be said that an atheist, who consistently says that God doesn’t exist and therefore won’t, has more faith than we do as we bounce back and forth between “He will” and “He won’t.” Ouch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t