Skip to main content

Our Gods

              He cut down cedars, or perhaps took a cypress or oak. He let it grow among the trees of the forest, or planted a pine, and the rain made it grow. It is used as fuel for burning; some of it he takes and warms himself, he kindles a fire and bakes bread. But he also fashions a god and worships it; he makes an idol and bows down to it. Half of the wood he burns in the fire; over it he prepares his meal, he roasts his meat and eats his fill. He also warms himself and says, “Ah! I am warm; I see the fire.”

            From the rest he makes a god, his idol; he bows down to it and worships. He prays to it and says, “Save me! You are my god!” They know nothing, they understand nothing; their eyes are plastered over so they cannot see, and their minds closed so they cannot understand. No one stops to think, no one has the knowledge or understanding to say, “Half of it I used for fuel; I even baked bread over its coals, I roasted meat and I ate. Shall I make a detestable thing from what is left? Shall I bow down to a block of wood?” Such a person feeds on ashes; a deluded heart misleads him; he cannot save himself, or say, “Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?” (Isaiah 44:14-20)

 

            As we read this passage with our snobbery in place and active, we’re likely to agree. Those folks in the past who worshipped wooden idols were fools! We know better. The truth is that we’re no wiser than they. We just don’t understand what a god is. I’ve probably discussed this too many times already, but it’s useful information that may help  us get rid of some idols we didn’t know we had.

            A god is that which informs or controls our lives. Scripture makes it clear that it doesn’t have to be an intelligent entity, like Jehovah. It can be. Here’s an incomplete list of potential gods in our lives:

loved ones             food                      alcohol        nicotine

money                  gambling               other drugs  a job

a career                 a reputation           the stars      the planets

plants                   nature                     science        TV shows/celebrities

ideas                     nations                 power          leaders

being liked            being attractive     being right   winning

physique               sex/sexuality         skin color    strength

family                   home                    homeland    competence

self-_______         love                      joy              peace

kindness               goodness              church         religion

science                  philolosophy

            I’m sure you could add a few dozen more. The point is that given the right circumstances, just about anything can become a god. The worst other god is ourselves.

            Often, people will object. There’s the old “I can quit any time I want to” line. We’ll say that the thing in question isn’t a god. We just like it, or it’s just good for us. The excuses are many, but the test is simple. When it comes to a choice between that thing and anything else, what wins? When you’re in trouble, where do you turn? What are the three most important things in your life – and based on how much time, talent, treasure, and effort you give them, which is really the most important?

            I’m not telling you how to run your life. But I can tell you that when I look at my life, God doesn’t seem to fit in the top three. I’m not even sure He comes in the top ten, and that’s a scary thought. I would like to be able to say that I love, believe, and trust Him but looking at my life, I’m not so sure.

            Part of the problem may be definitional, but discerning where the line is between using or doing something and that thing taking on godhood is hard to find. It’s also fallen human nature to step over that line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t