Skip to main content

Shaken...

             Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, (Hebrews 12:28)

 

          I’m listening to Anne of Avonlea, and let’s just say that Anne is not characterized by unshakability. Everything shakes her, and I’m chagrined that I might be only slightly less shakable than she is. Lots of things shake me, even if I don’t show it. They don’t even have to be entirely rational. Recently, I realized that my mind was pulling a nasty trick on me. When we close at work, we have to stay to recover the store and get it ready for when it opens again. The schedule says, “2-C” and every minute we have to stay past closing, my mind counts as a failure  or a punishment – especially if it goes  beyond a half an hour, and it generally involves two hours.

          That’s a trivial sort of shaking, but I have friends who have lost loved ones. Others are facing cancer or some other debilitating disease. Some people are homeless and hungry. Those shakes are not trivial.

          We need to stop here and remember how important it is not to belittle the shakes in someone’s life unless we are very gentle and they know we love them. There must be no “You call that a shake? Let me tell you about a shake!” or “Your shake doesn’t reach my minimum requirements for sympathy.”

That’s one of the nice things about God. He’s not shakable. As someone once put it, He never says, “Oh! My Self!” His kingdom has never been shaken, even when Jesus hung on the cross and died. He’s not shaken by the things that shake us. When we’re shaken, He knows what we need, whether a protector, a steadying hand, a shoulder to cry on, time to calm ourselves, a sense of humor, a gentle shove, or a rebuke.

But here’s the thing. Many years ago, I got through a day braced by the ridiculous fact that I was wearing red polish on my toenails. No one else could see it, but I knew it was there. In the same way (but better!), we can get through being shaken because we know that underneath the shaking is Someone that can’t be shaken, who will hold us up. No one else has to know, but if we can remember Him when we’re being shaken, we can rest.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t