Skip to main content

Because He Is


The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song. (Psalm 28:7) 

          This is one of those verses that I think God put in Scripture to challenge people like me. Most folks probably consider it a "warm and fuzzy" verse, in which they can wrap themselves in God like a blanket and be cozy all day. I feel that same coziness, but this is a treadmill verse. 
          What does "the LORD is my strength" mean? Is it nothing more than a metaphor, like His being my shield? I can understand the metaphor of God being my shield. Things that happen must go through Him and He prevents many things from reaching me. But strength? I would understand it if the passage says that the Lord gives strength, but what does it mean when someone or something is your strength? I suppose this is a case when we need to consider what the definition of "is" is.
          To begin with, the modern translation isn't entirely technically accurate. The word is isn't there. Instead, we are given a series of appositives (noun, noun phrase, or series of nouns placed next to another word or phrase to identify or rename it.)  "The Lord, my strength, my shield..." Even though is isn't, the use of appositives equates the terms. "The Lord equals/is my strength. He equals my shield.   
          The first meaning is "exist" or "be present." The very fact that God is strengthens me. The fact of His presence strengthens me. I can face the unfaceable because He exists. Putting aside the fact that if He didn't exist, we would not exist either, God's existence and presence can produce in us meaning and purpose. Those are powerful and strong. The fact that God is strengthens. Do you hear the echoes of the song, "Because He Lives"? I do.
         The second meaning is "occur or take place." At the moment, I can't think of a way that this helps. The third meaning is "having the state, quality, identity, nature, role, etc." The fact that God exists and that He has the state, quality, identity, nature, role, etc. of God strengthens. There are lots of different "gods" and idols I could look to in times of trouble. Most of them are clearly made in the image of man. They didn't create the universe, they lack character, omniscience, omnipresence, omnipotence, eternality (they may "live forever" but they were born) and their interactions with people are incidental. There's nothing about them that produces strength. That may be part of the reason that so many cultures had so many gods, because none of them were strong enough to do it all. 
       My online dictionary says that is may be related to a Greek term meaning "bring forth, cause to grow." God being brings forth or grows strength that is beyond my own capability. He causes what I cannot, and of course, I cannot consider the question of "is" without being reminded that He is Yahweh, the "I Am." He is the one and only Is - all else becomes. All else comes into being and/or reaches and end. My strength waxes and wanes like the moon. His strength is the sun, shining even when we cannot see it. Even that metaphor is flawed, because the sun had a beginning and will have an end. God is greater. That knowledge strengthens. 
         So our second day of thankfulness in 2016 is thankfulness that He is strength. He is a shield. Leap with joy (do a computer chair dance) and express your thankfulness in song... (feel free to change "lives" is "is.")Because He [IS]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t