Skip to main content

Longing for Home?


Save us, O LORD our God, and gather us from the nations, that we may give thanks to your holy name and glory in your praise (Psalm 106:47)
          Somehow, writing this blog entry got left until the end of Tuesday, which means laundry night. The Laundromat that we go to isn't bad as such places go, I suppose, but it means dragging laundry somewhere public and sitting around while it washes and dries. Usually, I take my lap top with me so that I can work on something. In fact, the wifi connection is so much better there that I look forward to working on things there. Tonight, Dad decided that I shouldn't take my computer because something might happen to it.  "Honor thy father...." I took a paper notebook, but that meant wasting paper and ink on something that is going to have to be redone. It doesn't help that the TV where we sit was set to a channel that spewed the lowest sort of garbage - I mean comedy - imaginable. All I wanted to do is go home.
        I imagine the Israelites felt about the same, but more so. They had been taken from their homes and forced to live among strange people with strange customs and a foreign language. Everything they loved was somewhere else, and they were under someone else's authority - someone who didn't consider what was in the best interests of the Israelites. They just wanted to go home where they could give thanks to God and praise Him.
         I can't say my reason for wanting to go home was to thank God. As soon as I dumped  the laundry on the bed, I went outside to take the dog for her last walk of the night, and spent most of the walk talking to God about my attitude and demonstrating just how bad it was.
         And then I discovered that my blog entry didn't get done this morning. What did I do? I don't remember. The topic is thankfulness, and, oh yeah, the last blog I posted was at least partly about beginning the day at sunset looking forward  instead of back, and being positive instead of regretful. Oops.
         With all of this, the thought comes to mind that we are much like the Israelites. We are living in a land under the temporary control of forces that do not have our best interests in mind. Oh, they could be thankful where they were, but to properly show their thankfulness, they needed to go to the temple and it didn't exist. We can give thanks where we are, but just imagine what it will be like to walk into heaven to give thanks properly. No garbage on TV to distract us, no timers counting down. No attitudes that need to be adjusted. No time demands. Oh that will be, glory for me.... In the meanwhile, it is time to allow God to work and to guide with regard to the rest of the day - while I sleep and when I wake.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t