Skip to main content

Whether "Wow" or "OK, Uh-Huh, Good"


            You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever. (Psalm 30:11-12) 

            When I was in college, and for years afterwards, I carried books, purses and more on my right shoulder. Over time, my back started giving me problems, to the point where I had to roll on my side and pull myself into a sitting position in order to get out of bed. I endured back pain for years and resigned myself to suffer for the rest of my life. One day I suddenly had an idea  that I'd never considered before: go to a chiropractor! (I believe God gave me the idea.) I went to one and returned many times. One day as I was taking a shower, I suddenly realized that my back didn't hurt, and I couldn't remember when I was actually last in pain. It seems to me that most of the pain I've suffered has worked that way. I'm in pain... I'm in agony... I'm dying, and then I'm not. When did that happen?
            Some people, like David, live big, dramatic lives. They move from wailing and sackcloth to dancing, joy, and singing at the top of their lungs in the course of a second, a minute, an hour, or a day. God's action on their behalf is obvious. Someone opens the door and finds food on their doorstep, or a check in the mail, or a prodigal child. Others may never find food, checks or children. Their suffering may last years. One day, they find themselves somehow no longer hampered by their pain.
            For years, I was convinced that I had an nonhappy, rather pathetic childhood. I don't mean that I was actively unhappy or that my childhood was one trial after another. I don't remember much of it, really. There are pieces of it that I know more as facts than as actual memories. I don't know whether this is normal, or a product of my personality type. The nonhappy, pathetic view was an assumption on my part because I don't remember lots of "dancing" or joy. I also don't remember a lot of wailing or sackcloth so it wasn't a fair judgment on my art. Within the past 5 years, I transferred decades of slides into digital photographs. The thing that I noticed most about myself was that I smiled in the pictures. I know that people are told to smile for pictures, but the smiles don't look like the "It's a picture so I have to smile" smiles.
           In cleaning out a file drawer, I found my Junior Girl Scout badge sash. I was surprised at how many badges were stitched on it. There weren't enough to be considered a major accomplishment, but there were lots more than I would have thought. Again, the picture that the evidence shows for my life is that  it wasn't the negative time that I tend to believe it was.
            During the last couple years, I have been discovering that joy is not (always) big and dramatic. Not all our "dancing" has to be frantic jive or Argentine tango. A slow waltz is still a dance. Not all our joy has to be a public display of unbridled exuberance. It can be a quiet assurance. I have been learning that  while I don't have a life filled with "Oh WOW"s, I do have a life that is more and more filled with "OK, Uh huh. Good." And for that, God deserves to be thanked  all the days of my life.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t