Skip to main content

His Unfailing Love And His Wonderful Deeds For Men...


Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men. Let them sacrifice thank offerings and tell of his works with songs of joy. (Psalm 107:21) 

            For the past few days, I've been posting a quite "What three things are you thankful for today?" bit on Face Book. Today seems like a perfect time to expand on one of the things I'm trying to be thankful for: disagreeable people. There are people who were my friends for many years, but because I was disagreeable, or they were disagreeable, those friendships have ended. There are people with whom those disagreeable friendships have continued. There are still others who aren't my friends, but just people I encounter somewhere, who just can't seem to see things from my perspective. It's hard to remember that those people are treasures, especially when I'm in the middle of the disagreement. 
            I have a list of people I pray for. One of the categories in that list is "my enemies." I pray for those friends who have unfriended me either on social media or more generally. I pray for my friends who seem to hate me or even just generally seem to hate. I pray for those whose philosophical views are (from my perspective) dangerous, harmful and oppressive, those who hatred leads then to violence I also pray for terrorists and rioters and two women on death row in Pennsylvania, even though the crimes they committed were horrific. I don't pray that lightning would strike them. I don't pray that they would "see the light" or that their perspective would change. For the most violent, I do pray that they would be converted, captured or killed before they harm others, with the list in order of preference. I pray for salvation for those I suspect aren't saved. Mostly, I pray that God would bless  each of these people with love, or joy, or peace, or patience, or kindness, or goodness, or faithfulness, or gentleness or self-control. That is how I pray for everyone on my prayer list, by working my way through the fruit of the Spirit. Whatever blessing happens to be next when I pray through my  list.
            Sometimes, it's not easy to ask that God bless the person who would gladly kill me, or the person who has said that I am never to speak to him/her again with the same blessing that I request for those with whom I'm on speaking terms. At the very least, I want to choose which fruit of the Spirit I think would do them good or teach them the lesson I think they need to be taught. I generally resist the temptation to select. 
           Jesus commanded us to love our enemies, and pray for those who persecute us. By doing so, our character goes stronger. We become better people when we love when it isn't easy. Those disagreeable people in your life? They're there to build you up even when they're tearing you down. To all of you with whom I have disagreed. Thank you for being God's tool to make me a better person. I thank God, also, for you, and for His wisdom in developing my strength of character



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t