Skip to main content

Don't Be Hasty


Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure. (I Timothy 5:22)
       The laws of physics and of cause and effect are pesky things. If one person is paddling a canoe north, and the other is paddling it south, you don’t make much progress. If one person is putting stones together to make a wall, and another is taking them apart, the only way any progress gets made is if one works faster and harder than the other. The real solution is to only invite someone in the canoe, or onto the work crew who has the same goal. 
         Some people focus on diversity. Their stated goal is to bring in as many different people as possible and they supposedly get to keep their differences. Others focus on unity, and they want everyone to be precisely the same. I’ve found that those who claim to cherish diversity want everyone to be just like them, and everyone who claims to cherish unity reject it when they’re called to change. There is a fine line somewhere and you and I are not the ones who draw it. 
         There are colleges who try to draw that line by saying that if an organization is not open to absolutely everyone and if absolutely anyone cannot be placed in the leadership of that organization, then it’s not permitted on campus. Would it really be appropriate for an atheist to lead a Christian group, a Christian to lead an atheist group, or an Arian to control a group composed of African Americans or Jews? This is one of the problems Timothy faced. It remains today. There are people who have ulterior motives who seek their goals within the Church. Sometimes, I don’t think they even realize it. The reality is that to some extent, we are all wolves in sheep’s clothing. The thing is, some “wolves” are hyenas. 
          I suspect that’s why Paul told Timothy to take his time in choosing his ministry associates. Several years ago, a friend and I discussed a mutual interest in life coaching. He thought it would be a great idea to go into business together. I don’t think I really had a healthy idea of what such a business entailed, but it seemed to me at the time that he didn’t have good business sense about it. More importantly, he is sanguine and I am melancholy. I suspected I knew who would end up doing the work. Still more importantly, I suspect he is Liberal, and I am Conservative. Most importantly of all, he is agnostic or atheist and I am Christian. I don’t think either of us could have respected each other’s motivations or advice.  
          Yes, diversity can be a very good thing, if it is diversity within unity. Unity can be a very good thing, if there is room for some diversity within it. What Paul said was to move slowly in partnerships because they can drag you where you don’t want to go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t