Skip to main content

Elders


 The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching. For the Scripture says, “Do not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain,” and “The worker deserves his wages.” Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses. Those who sin are to be rebuked publicly, so that the others may take warning. I charge you, in the sight of God and Christ Jesus and the elect angels, to keep these instructions without partiality, and to do nothing out of favoritism. (I Timothy 5:17-21) 

            Sometimes, we seem to have the impression that pastors and elders, or people in authority outside the Church should be treated like servants. Maybe it’s because of Jesus’ teaching that they are to act like servants. Maybe it’s just jealousy and covetousness. Paul describes them as an eldest brother in a household, who received twice the inheritance of the rest of the brothers. He then quotes two proverbs. An ox may eat what seems like a lot of grain as it is treading, but if you don’t let the ox eat, it won’t maintain the strength to work. The worker who is not given his wages cannot afford to work for you. 
            I notice this more in the world than I do in the Church, probably because I’m not involved in the business end of the Church. We want our entertainers to get millions of dollars (perhaps because we all dream of being discovered someday) but we want our politicians to work for less than minimum wage while maintaining a home, office, and staff both where we live and where they work and commuting between the two. I have to confess, even when I was working, I hated paying seventy dollars for an hour (or even an hour and a half) of a hairdresser’s time, then being expected to provide a tip, when an hour of my time only netted me eight to fourteen dollars. I know, the hairdresser didn’t get all of the seventy dollars but I struggled. That’s why I am letting my hair grow. It’s easy to look at someone else and question their value to you.
            That’s at least part of the second problem Paul discusses in today’s passage. Those who serve us open themselves up to criticism. Sometimes the criticism is deserved/ Sometimes it is not. Paul followed the directions of the Mosaic Law. The Church operates as a legal body, requiring two or three witnesses as proof of a charge. Those who were found guilty were to be publicly rebuked. They bore a greater punishment. They had more responsibility and part of that responsibility was to be an example, even in their punishment.
            With all of this in mind, one of the thoughts that has gone through my mind is “Who are the elders at my churches?” I don’t tend to pay much attention but even without knowing their names, these are a few things that I should probably be praying about on their behalf: that they will be treated as they should, and that they will behave as they should.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t