Skip to main content

Not Ashamed


So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.  And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day. (II Timothy 1:8-12) 

          Apparently, some of Timothy’s timidity involved the specter of criminal punishment. Jesus was killed as a criminal. Jesus was, in a sense, jailbait. Anyone who accepted Him as God, and therefore denied the Roman emperor as god could be put to death. Paul was in prison for that reason. Timothy’s apprehension is understandable. In today’s passage, Paul reminded Timothy who Jesus is and what He has done. The Old Testament shows that when one follows God, the world attacks. Jesus had warned us not to be surprised when the world hates us, because it hated Him. Paul was suffering in prison because he was doing what God had chosen him to do.
          Some time ago, I listened to a talk by R.C. Sproul, Jr., in which he said that the scandal of evangelicalism is that evangelicals are scandalized when the world doesn’t like them. Why can’t the world see what wonderful people we are? Why don’t those people like us? They say all sorts of nasty things about us. We forget that when Jesus walked the earth, they accused Him of blasphemy. He, a mere man, claimed to be God! What a monster He had to be to do such a thing; unless, He was telling the truth. But if He told the truth, His accusers had to be the monsters, and that was simply impossible.
          Recently, I read a blog post calling on us to walk away from an unpopular passage in the Bible that at least appears to restrict women’s roles within the Church. Again, the teachings of the Bible must be wrong because we don’t like the picture it paints. We can just ignore what it says because, well, look around you. “Everyone knows” better than what the Bible teaches. My ego wants to be able to agree. I don’t want to submit. I want to lead. 
         And once that is accepted, then someone else’s ego says that genders don’t matter in the choice of restrooms or showers, or in marriage. Another person’s ego informs us that religions don’t matter. You can worship any god you want, because in the end, they’re all the same. The reason you don’t see that is because of your ego. (Wait – wasn’t ego what led us into this morass? Now it’s ego that keeps us from it?)
         Paul reminds us that, no, it was not our ego that led us to this place. We know whom we have believed, and Christ, the Lord, the Living God is able to guard what we have entrusted to Him (ourselves.) I will accept their hatred and their mockery, but I will tell them that they are not living up to their own standards and I will tell them what I believe to be true as kindly and firmly as I can because it is the loving thing to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t