Skip to main content

Anger

            “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold. (Ephesians 4:26-27)

          First, a note. “In your anger, do not sin,” is from Psalm 4:4, the Septuagint version. When I checked the verse, according to the NIV translation of the verse, it says, “Tremble and do not sin.” I’m not sure how the Greek scholars made the connection between trembling and anger. It could as easily be fear. But I love the image involved. We are being told we shouldn’t get so angry that we’re trembling with fury. If we’re trembling, that means our strings are pulled so tightly that they may snap – and lose self-control.

          We’re in a time when it is popular to be angry. People of different ideologies regularly talk about destroying one another. If questioned, they are likely to suggest that they have a right to be angry and that we should all be angry about injustice, crime, war, pollution, etc. The problem is, of course, that when one is really angry, one doesn’t tend to think clearly.

          And today’s passage doesn’t say not to be angry. It says that when you are angry, you shouldn’t sin. Returning to the idea that sin separates – when we are angry, we should not separate ourselves from those with whom we are angry. That doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be a cooling off period in which both take a walk or otherwise spend some time apart, but the goal is to come back together and work out the problem promptly – before bed.

          Seething and stewing in one’s anger is not wise because it destroys the person who does it and tends to end up harming people around one, even if they weren’t part of the original difficulty. In cases of injustice, a matter may not be able to be resolved before the sun goes down, but that doesn’t mean that one’s anger cannot be resolved before bed. This is difficult. It’s much easier to feed anger, but as Paul noted, that gives the devil a foothold by which he may continue to defeat you.

          For those who are addressing some injustice or great problem, it can be useful to keep anger simmering or even boiling. Anger provides energy one can use to continue the battle, but it eats at everything around that person. One can be opposed to something without frothing at the mouth about it. Anger tends to lead us to use force against others rather than appeal to them and win their agreement. It replaces unity with oppression. In the end, even if the problem seems to be resolved, the relationship is damaged, and so are the people involved. I know – I used anger as an energy source for a number of years. It’s not healthy for anyone to operate on that fuel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t