Skip to main content

Build Them Up

                 Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up.   (Romans 15:2)

                Do you know your neighbors? Older folks apparently do a little better at this than younger, but up to 25% of Americans say they don’t. I have to question whether those who say they do know lots of their neighbors, or just one or two, and whether they have regular conversations with them, or just know them to wave and say, “Hi!” I’m one of those “don’t know” folks. I know who some of my neighbors are because we’ve shared the same block and I knew some of their kids when I was growing up, but I don’t really know them. One neighbor is a people person, and she and I have talked once in a while for quiet a few years, but most of the rest live in their little worlds, and I live in mine. Over the past two years, the neighbor behind my friendly neighbor and I have started talking about gardens. Jeff loaded my weed whacker for me yesterday, and we’ve traded excess garden plants and crops. I don’t think I ever said two words to either of the families living in that house before the current residents, and I wouldn’t say I know any of my neighbors well.

                I used to console myself with the idea that my Neighbors weren’t my neighbors. My Neighbors were those with whom I chose to spend time. That really doesn’t help, because I live next to my neighbors, which means I spend time close to them and by so-called Neighbors were possibly miles away and I only met with them once a week.

                Since my friendly neighbor’s husband died, I’ve tried to step in to help her out more. I’ve become her gardener. Over the past couple days, I’ve weeded some of her plots, and planted some tomatoes, zucchini, and flowers – most of them plants I didn’t have room for.  She sounds like she appreciates it.

                I’m not telling you all of this to pat myself on the back or to convince you I’m some noble, kind-hearted soul. It’d be nice if I were a noble, kind-hearted soul, but I’m not going to even try to evaluate that. It leads me into a quagmire. No, I’m telling you this because for all my effort, I don’t think I actually know her well enough to be sure that helping with her garden is building her up as we’re commanded to do – and at the same time, building someone  up might be as simple as pulling weeds and putting in plants.

                There are a some benefits for me in doing this work for her.

·         it gives me a chance to check on her, to make sure she’s not in need of a doctor. Second, it gives me

·         It gives me somewhere to put seedlings that I don’t have room for. What she doesn’t use, I will try to use to make something that I can then give back to her. I get to learn in the process.

·         It’s exercise that actually does something useful

·         It means I don’t feel so bad when I sneak into her yard (with permission) to harvest rhubarb, lilacs, lemon balm, mint, or other stuff growing in her garden. She enjoys the stuff I make with the weeds I pull out of her garden.

And the neighbor who loaded string into my weed whacker – in addition to the trade of plants and products, I’ve given him a chance to help me in a simple way, which (I suspect) builds him up, too. I know that when I’ve done something to help someone, I feel good about it.

        Thinking about when the going gets rough – I have three thoughts. First, if the going gets rough we can help one another. Secondly, if the going gets rough, and they value me, they might not attack me or turn me in. Thirdly, perhaps they’ll be influenced by what I do and say – perhaps even to the point of salvation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t