Skip to main content

Lovoingkindness 1

 She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. (Proverbs 31:12)

            I got word from my Sunday School teacher that our next topic is going to be lovingkindness, and since this coming Sunday is Mother’s Day, he suggested we look at examples from Scripture of mothers and other women who demonstrate that characteristic. As a variation on that, today’s verse looks at a mythical, paragon of all virtues, the Proverbs 31 woman. What reveals her lovingkindness?

            The first thing, and the topic of today’s passage, is that she does good, not harm. I’m listening to the Caterbury Tales, and the Wife of Bath provides an excellent counterexample. She teaches that women should tolerate nothing less than complete control over every aspect of their lives and their husbands’ lives and property. What is good for the husband doesn’t matter in the least.

            Unfortunately, there’s a lot of wives of Bath around today. The Feminist movement should put her picture on their posters and protest signs. But even among those who aren’t part of the social justice cult, even among those who claim to be Christian, there is a tradition of women being taught that they must “civilize” their husbands rather like one would civilize a stray dog. They take them in, clean them up, resolve any parasitic and medical issues, dress them in better clothing, and train them to behave according to the women’s preferences.  (I realize that’s a brutal way of putting it, but how many of us delight in the story, Beauty and the Beast?)

            The P31 woman isn’t like that. IT doesn’t say she does good to him. It says she does him good. Yes, doing good includes giving wise counsel, but it doesn’t involve treating him like a child. She becomes his partner. She acts in ways that won’t reflect badly on him. She doesn’t abscond with his property, or their property, to do as she will. She doesn’t behave in ways that would lead to scandal or shame to him. She is honest, kind, self-controlled, and humble.

            How does all of that demonstrate lovingkindness? Another of my Sunday School teachers once described kindness as giving you a piece of bread when you’re hungry. Lovingkindness involves slathering your favorite bread topping (peanut butter, for example) on the bread first. A woman demonstrates lovingkindness when she goes above and beyond what is culturally required to be a benefit to her husband, not in order to look like a good, devoted wife, but because she wants to please her husband.

            Lovingkindness is also involved when a woman takes an interest in her husband’s interests, and when she learns something new that can help him. Children used to grow up learning their father’s trades. When girls married, they became apprentices to their husband’s trade, which made it convenient for them to marry men who were following in their fathers’ footsteps. They were the power behind the “throne” that was presented to the world, behind the figurehead that was the “man of the house.” Lovingkindness involved becoming a master of her craft.

Lovingkindness, then, is living up to the best standards for the benefit of someone else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t