Skip to main content

A ____________...

             A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life (Proverbs 31:10-12)

 Before we launch into the passage as a whole, let’s begin with the fact that the whole passage was counsel Solomon’s mother gave him with regard to seeking a wife, and with all of the wives and concubines he had, I suspect he didn’t follow it. If she had been teaching a daughter, she would have talked about a husband of noble character, and it would have slightly different instructions – but probably not as different as we might think. Similar lists could be made for parents, children, neighbors, and even rulers. The same complaint could be made: “A ________ of noble character, who can find?” While the topic at hand is wives, the problem is universal. What does it take to be a person of noble character?

But women have been beating themselves ever since, trying to live up to this daunting set of instructions. It’s like the Law, which the Israelites were never able to keep. It is a standard of perfection impossible to achieve and maintain. But, as with the Law and the Prophets, it could be summed up in a principle, so that the spirit of the Law, if not the letter, could be achieved. Somehow, it’s not surprising that the principle is at the beginning and tends to be glossed over in favor of the laws.

The principle is that a person of noble character brings those with whom he/she interacts good, not evil, all the time. In other words, the person of noble character loves. I don’t think it’s reading too much into the passage to say that the person of noble character loves the Lord one’s God with all one’s heart, soul, mind, and strength, and loves one’s neighbor as him/herself. After all, who is one’s neighbor? It’s the person one encounter who has a need, so one’s spouse, children, parents and siblings, neighbors, and everyone encountered through the day is one’s neighbor whom one must love as myself, and love involves doing what is in the best interests of the neighbor – also known as bringing good, not evil, all the days of one’s life.

It's still a daunting task, but it returns us to the issue of character, not a list of culturally connected tasks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t