Skip to main content

Conditions ...

 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:1)

 

I love “con” words. Generally speaking, the con- prefix is an intensifier and has a meaning of with. In the case of condemnation, if you look at the next four letters (demn) you can probably guess where it comes from. The interesting thing about the definition given in the Mirriam Webster Dictionary is that it’s not just a declaration that something/someone is evil, wrong, or reprehensible, but that they are so after weighing the evidence and without reservation. It is, in short, a legal term when properly used. It is also a final judgment. All the appeals have been tried. There is no doubt of guilt.

But this is the problem. We tend to think that condemnation is something done by a judge and jury (official or otherwise.) But the reality is that condemnation is the state of someone who is guilty – and there is no doubt of their guilt. They stand condemned – separated from God, society, and others by their actions, not by the action of someone else. If you die, someone isn’t doing something to you in declaring you dead. It is a state of being, not imposed on a person by another person, and maybe not one that is even chosen by the condemned person – but that doesn’t make it any less the case.

But, just as someone who is condemned may not understand or believe that he/she is in that condition, so can the person for whom there is, therefore, now no condemnation struggle with the idea that they are in the condition of “not condemned.” This tends to be my struggle. And part of the challenge is the fact that I don’t even recognize that I’m feeling condemned or I’m condemning myself until it’s been going on for a while. Several times today, I’ve had to stop myself because I was on a familiar road of “My life is falling apart, I can’t cope!” The reality was that my microwave died. How was I not handling things well? I even recall one heroic instance of asking, “Who told you…?”

Old habits die hard, and one of the hardest thinks about growing in the “No condemnation” condition is the challenge of condemning ourselves because we’ve caught ourselves condemning ourselves! I’ve a friend who talks about reframing things. What if, instead of telling ourselves, “Oh, I’m doing it again. What a failure!” we celebrated because, while we may not have captured or killed the thief, we at least realized he was there and chased him away?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t