Skip to main content

Endurance and Encouragement

            May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. (Romans 15:5-6)

 

            When the passage above says that God gives endurance, encouragement, and the same attitude of mind that Christ Jesus had, it’s tempting to think that means that we are like spiritual Popeyes. When the going gets rough, we pull out a can of spiritual spinach and proceed to wipe up the floor with our spiritual enemies. We know it doesn’t work that way, but we’d like it to. Instead, God gives us endurance, encouragement, and the same attitude of mind more like we are given a good education – over the course of 16 to 20 years.

            And, we’re tempted to think in terms of our own glory, though verse 6 says that the goal of the endurance, the encouragement, and the same mind is the glorification of God the Father and of our Lord Jesus Christ. But how better could He glorify Himself than by glorifying us, we ask, at least of ourselves. How much more good could we do if we were rich, or famous, or something more than we are. That’s not the pattern Jesus set for us. He became less. He endured what He did not deserve.

            As I read the passage this morning, my mind focused in on the word encouragement. I haven’t done the research on the subject that I should, but I found myself wondering how we are encouraged. Kevin Eikenberry believes there is a language of encouragement, which is what I hoped to find.[1] Among the important phrases in this language are:

I believe in you.

I appreciate how you did that.

Thank you.

We need you/your help.

What do you think?

I know you can do it.

I know what you mean.

I trust you.

Tell me more.

You are/look/give/do … followed by a positive.

            Each of these could encourage us at the right moment, but looking at the list, are there any that especially touch your heart? Which would you most like to hear from God? The ones that whisper to me are “I believe in you,” “I know you can do it,” and “I trust you.” But part of my mind takes up a song from My Fair Lady… “Words, words, words, I’m so sick of words. I get words all day through, first from him, now from you. Is that all you blighters can do?”

            As I look at the words of encouragement, I can’t escape the idea that the languages of encouragement are the languages of love. It’s precisely the direction I did not want to go. Some people would be encouraged by all these words of affirmation. Others would be encouraged by someone coming alongside and helping. Another group would be encouraged by someone just spending time with them. And two other groups would be encouraged by a hand on the shoulder or a hug or by some token or gift.

            And as I think about what encourages me, there are a number of things, but all of them seem to be some variation on words, actions, or things that guide me or allow me to keep going or doing – or acts of service. This needs more thought, but the idea that is that if we understand what encourages us and what encouragement is, we will be more likely to recognize it when it happens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t