Skip to main content

Childlike

             He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me. (Matthew 18:2-5)

 

This is Jesus’ answer to a question from the disciples about who would be the greatest in heaven. Much has been said about the characteristics of a child such as innocence and lack of pretense. And those are undoubtedly true, but picture the scene in your mind. Why did the disciples ask about it? Were they seeing Jesus, perhaps, as a means to an end? Were they thinking about themselves? Were they looking at Jesus, while their minds wandered through images of themselves blessing people as they walked or rode by?

In answer to the question, Jesus calls a child. Clearly, the child goes to Him, because otherwise the illustration would lack impact. Little Levi trots over and looks up at Jesus, waiting for Jesus to say something more to him. Perhaps Jesus turns him to face their audience and puts a hand on his shoulder. Maybe Levi feels a little shy at all the eyes looking at him.

Who is this child? When the account took place, children (supposedly) weren’t highly valued, at least not as a social entity. A family might treasure their tots, but their social status was about on par with a slave, and possibly lower because slaves can contribute to the management of the household, while children consume resources. So this child was basically a nobody, and really wouldn’t likely aspire to be a somebody for some time. They might think in terms of “when I grow up” but jockeying for position the way the disciples were isn’t likely to be a major thought on the child’s mind.

Jesus called him, and likely smiled as Little Levi hurried up. He’d called the child, and the child had come. That’s obedience. He’s likely to have hoped for some blessing, even if he hadn’t thought in those words. That’s hope. That’s faith. Sometimes, we’re tempted to call these things “childlike,” meaning that we think the child doesn’t old enough to know better. It’s also possible, though, that the child hasn’t gotten all twisted up yet and may be better aware of reality than adults are. I’m not saying we should throw our brains in the trash – but we should be aware that we tend to complicate the simple, and over-simplify the complex.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t