Skip to main content

Honestly!

             Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body.  (Ephesians 4:25-28) 

Yesterday, the idea was that we should put on true righteousness and holiness, which is “the new self.” As we start over, what would this look like? In today’s passage, one of the things it would look like is honesty. But let’s take this a little deeper than “I cannot tell a lie, I chopped down the cherry tree.” Over the past several months, I’ve been watching some videos involving Prof. Dallas Willard, Dr. Larry Crabb, and John Ortberg. One of the things John admitted was that he sees himself as a “boring little man trying to put on a show.”

One of the interesting things about the interaction is that everyone is (rightfully) impressed with Dallas Willard, whose material is the topic of conversation. Larry Crabb makes reference to his being a pastor and his being a psychologist. But little if anything is ever said of John Ortberg’s background. I think it’s clear that he was a pastor, and he refers to writings of others from a variety of backgrounds, but the sense you get from him is that he’s a boring little man who doesn’t deserve to be in the company of these other two.

I don’t know why I looked him up one morning, but I did. It turns out that he has a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology; the same degree (from a different college) possessed by Larry Crabb. But John is “a boring little man trying to put on a show.”

My point isn’t about John. It’s about all of us. One of the things we’re supposed to do as new creatures is be honest – to speak truth. And he both does and doesn’t. He has an education on par with Larry Crabb, but you don’t hear that from him, just as you don’t hear about Prof. Willard’s level of expertise from Dallas Willard. Instead, he tells you the truth of his perspective of himself: the boring little man. He tells the truth, but he doesn’t.

And I suspect we do the same thing. If you asked us who we are, we might say we are tell all the things about ourselves that are good. We have this degree, we have that position, we are fans of some sports team or hobby. Or, we are  boring little men, or nobodies, or “just a person” or we are not a _______.

I’m facing this as I try to update my author bio. Do I tell them that I earned a BA in English and an MBA in Business? Do I mention having worked at a library (twice) and a store (twice) in addition to being an administrative assistant, a teacher, a glorified stock clerk, a sales lead of fine jewelry (or a seller of pretty rocks), a private care-giver, a gardener, a sales clerk at a garden center, a genealogist, a public speaker, a photographer, poet, author, holder of a number of different offices in different organizations, a jogger, a crafter, a reader, a musician, a single woman, a dutiful daughter, and that I’m trying to become a “domestic MacGyver”…? Or do I tell everyone that I am a failure who can’t seem to give away books, who has been asked to leave organizations in which I played a leading role, who lost and regained ninety pounds… a nobody who has done little but fail in her life and longs desperately to be seen as a competent, intelligent, significant person?

In Toastmasters, one of the idea I picked up was that an introduction is meant to tell the audience enough about the person to justify the person’s willingness to listen and consider what you have to say. There was a time when I introduced myself to new co-workers as “The Wicked Witch of the West.” And they did well to believe me – but then they stopped. Yesterday, I tried out a new one. Someone asked a group what kind of leader we are, and my answer was that I’ve reached the point where I just want to be the old hag at the back of the room who gets told “Shut up, Old Hag!” when I make a comment, then have the same person come to me later to say, “You were right.”

I watched a video with John Ortberg this afternoon in which he suggested that we become comfortable with saying “I don’t know.” And that may be the most honest answer we can give to “Who are you?” I don’t know. I don’t know who I will be to you today. I may be any combination of any of the above, or someone/something else entirely. I don’t know…or maybe the answer should be, “Who do you want/need me to be?” If we can be that person, that is the honesty that we and they need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t