Skip to main content

Rejoice

 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! (Philippians 4:4) 

Rejoice? Rejoicing is great when you have something to rejoice about. When something cool, interesting, nice, or otherwise positive happens, I’m happy to say “Yay God!” Admittedly, I don’t tend to shout it. That would draw attention to me. given the impromptu task of expressing delight to an audience. I spent a minute and a half smiling. Needless to say, I didn’t win the votes of my audience. Delight, or rejoicing, it would seem, tends to require words, volume, and large gestures. Those are certainly possibilities, but they aren’t the only ways to rejoice.

But that’s not the idea in today’s verse. We’re to rejoice in the Lord. What does that mean? It might be an easy thing if God spent our days giving us little miracle after little miracle, like a doting grandpa entertaining a toddler grandchild: making faces and noises, bouncing us around so that we don’t have a chance to pay attention to anything beyond the ever-changing stimuli. But that’s not how God works. If He did, we’d be even more immature and narcissistic than we tend to be.

So how do we rejoice in the Lord? Especially always?

One thing I found that helps is providing our own stimulus. I do better at rejoicing, being positive, and generally functioning when there’s music in the background. Going back to the idea of the two wolves – silence tends to feed the wrong one. Solitude and silence are great disciplines, but only when one can take the time to deal with what one takes with one into them. In this, I’m thankful for a wide range of friends God has given to me that I’ve never met: Keith Green, Sandy Patty, Steve Green, Beethoven, and so many others in addition to the many I have met.

Another aid to rejoicing is writing in a journal. It allows one to look at things more objectively, and can help one gain the clarity needed to rejoice.

Reading Scripture and the stories of other Christians can lead to rejoicing. This is another reason why we need the fellowship of other committed Christians. I know I don’t thank God often enough for the wonderful friends He has given me but whom I have never met: Paul, Peter, John, C. S. Lewis, Dallas Willard, John Ortberg, John Piper, R. C. Sproul, and again, many others in addition to those I’ve met.

Habit is also a useful aid. One suggestion for this one is to stack your habits. Decide to take a moment to rejoice when you’re walking from your bedroom to the bathroom or kitchen first thing in the morning, or as part of each meal, or every time you get behind the wheel. To show you how powerful habit can be, many years ago, I took singing lessons, and my teacher gave me a tape of vocaleses so I could practice. As I was on my way to work one wintery day, I hit an ice patch and slid against the curb. No damage was done to the car, but when the car stopped, I realized that I had continued to sing with the tape. Because I was in the habit of doing my vocaleses this way, my body did them in spite of my attention being on getting the car to stop.

That’s the way our rejoicing and worship should be.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...