Skip to main content

There Is A Time

 There is a time for everything,

    and a season for every activity under the heavens:

a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.

(Ecclesiastes 3:1-8)

 

I know this isn’t the version you’re probably used to but if you can read this passage without singing “turn, turn, turn” at the end of the line, you’re stronger or less musically educated than I am.

One of my friends recently asked how we (writers) manage the monster of comparison. I’m not sure that the act of comparison is the problem as much as the responses of envy, arrogance, and self-pity. But part of my answer involves walking around the park where I live in Florida. When this first happened, I was living in a motorhome that was more than thirty years old and that had not been as well cared for as it should have been. In short, it was a junk pile searching for a junkyard even though the basics still worked.

In the same park, there were park-model double-wide mobile homes of comparatively recent vintage with wide-screen TVs visible through the windows and motorhomes at least as long as ours but with two, three, or even four slide-outs. I remember my ego bleeding. Why did they get to have what they had while I was stuck with what I had? After praying for some time, God told me that what I had was what He chose for me to have for the moment. He asked if I would accept that choice for me for now.

We had to have that conversation more than once, or at least, I’ve had to review that conversation more than once over the years. When I see other writers making money at their craft, I struggle. Part of the struggle is because I know I’m not doing all I should be to market my books, and part of it is because this is where I am right now. It is not my time to be what I think is successful. Am I willing to accept that? Am I willing to accept the blessings I receive instead of the ones I want when I can get my attention off of what I don’t have, and on to what is going on in my life, I can see blessings? They just aren’t in the form I want them to take. Am I willing to accept that for now? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t