Skip to main content

Arguing With God

         but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, that is, Christ,  (Ephesians 4:15) 

            Far be it from You to do such a thing, to kill the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous and the wicked are treated alike. Far be it from You! Shall not the Judge of all the earth deal justly?” (Genesis 18:25) 

          I’m listening to Mark Twain’s A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur’s Court, and I think the main character’s type A, snide personality is infecting me a little, because my first thought on reading this verse this morning is “That is all the problem for us. He’s the head.” I think I’d be happy as a clam if I were head, and you probably think you’d be far happier if you were. We might not admit this in public, but we think we have a few ideas that Jesus ought to consider – and consider carefully.

          The interesting thing is that there are examples, like the second passage above, in which people have argued with God, and God seems to have acquiesced. Abram argues with God in Genesis 18. At one point Moses argues with God. Some of the prophets argue with God. And often, they win. But the reason they win may be because they have done what Ephesians 4:15 describes.

          In each case, the argument doesn’t involve a person simply arguing for what he wants. Instead, the person argues in favor of one aspect of God’s personality over another or over what God proclaims. Abram argues that God act justly. Moses argues that what God has proclaimed in terms of God’s reputation. Others have argued using God’s promises – using His words against Him, so to speak. And it is in these arguments that God seems to change His mind.

          Another way of looking at this is to consider how we negotiate with others, particularly with others we love or respect. How would you feel about a spouse, child, or boss consistently demanding one thing after another without reciprocation? Would you want your spouse, child, or boss to try to take advantage of your generosity or love in a way that never considered your feelings, your finances, or your personhood?  And how would you feel if their only inclusion of your feelings, finances, or personhood was clearly nothing more than a tool for manipulation?

          Part of seeking first the kingdom is giving the King and the kingdom priority. As ambassadors of Christ, we have the responsibility to seek the benefit of the kingdom and promote its wellbeing, even if that means suggesting to the King that something might be in His best interest.  And if the well-being of the King and His kingdom is the goal – or even part of the goal – if it even enters our minds – we are closer to praying “in Jesus’ name” than we ever will be by saying those words; and thus, we may be more confident that we will receive we ask. Just like when someone considers your opinion on a matter. And then, Jesus' headship won't be as big a struggle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t