Skip to main content

Do Not Judge?

              For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. (John 3:17)

 

            “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.”  (Matthew 7:1)

 

                Some people love to quote Jesus’ command not to judge because we’ll be judged. They’re likely to have the same response to John 3:17,  in which Jesus describes Himself as not being here to condemn the world, but so that God could save the world through Him. And what they don’t seem to get is that in telling others not to judge, they are judging the others. In threatening, warning, or promising judgment upon those who judge, one must judge. And they also seem to miss that God’s sending His Son into the world to save the world means that the world is already condemned. Otherwise, the world wouldn’t need to be saved.

            The second tidbit about the passage in John is that Jesus makes it clear that the only way the world can be saved is though Him. So those who say “Don’t judge” and follow it up with the notion that everyone is going to go to heaven, or that there’s some other means to get to heaven are calling Jesus a liar. And if He is a liar about who gets to be saved, then there’s no reason to believe Him that not judging is the proper way to go.

            The goal here isn’t to say, “Go ahead and judge. It’s OK!” Jesus did tell us not to judge. It’s important that we understand what He meant. I looked up the Greek term translated as “judge.” It is transliterated krino. Here’s the definition as provided by Walter Bauer in A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature.

                “1. Separate, distinguish, then select, prefer…

                    2. judge, think, consider, look upon…

                    3. reach a decision, decide, propose, intend…

                    4. as a legal term: judge, decide, hale before a court, condemn, also, hand over for judicial punishment…” It goes on from there. In each case, the ellipsis indicates a long passage of quotes involving the use of the term, and the print is small, but I didn’t notice Matthew 7:1 in any of them. The point is, there’s judging, and there’s judging.

            Logically, if we separate ourselves from someone else, we are separated from them. How can we not be? If we distinguish (perceive or point out a difference), we cannot help but be seen as different. If we select ourselves, we are selected.

            Again, this doesn’t mean “judging” isn’t included. There are times in Scripture in which God uses the standard set by a person (often a king) as the standard by which that person is judged. One of the examples some people give of Jesus “not judging” is the story of the woman who was brought to Him after being caught in the act of adultery. Jesus wrote in the dirt, then said that the one without sin should be the first to cast a stone. People speculate about what He wrote. My own speculation is that it was Leviticus 20:10, “If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.” To bring only the woman was a violation of the law – a sin. They were judged by the standard they set. And after no one accused her, He didn’t accuse her either, but told her, “Go now and leave your life of sin.” (John 8:11). He may not have accused her, but He didn’t pretend that what she was doing wasn’t wrong. And neither should we.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t