Skip to main content

Using Them Properly

             However, since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to use them properly: if prophecy, in proportion to one’s faith; if service, in the act of serving; or the one who teaches, in the act of teaching; or the one who exhorts, in the work of exhortation; the one who gives, with generosity; the one who is in leadership, with diligence; the one who shows mercy with cheerfulness. (Romans 12: 6-8)

 

            I know, I know. Nowhere in Paul’s exhortation does he mention the terms manic, obsessive, or excessive, all of which have been mentioned in connection with me or my activities. That’s the end of the stick I need to work on. He also failed to mention that these activities are to be done if they don’t interfere with your favorite TV show, or if you’re bored, or that they need only be done if you believe yourself likely to get applause or accolades as an expert. I think I’m not the only one who might have to admit that we have hold of that end of the stick. I suspect I have both ends of the stick at least part of the time.

            To give the proper performance level for most of the gifts, it is doing the gift. Where the doing is not the key, the manner of the doing is. This makes sense when we think of others. It would be a crime for someone with a great voice to not sing or speak, and nearly as great a crime if they sang or spoke poorly. But when it comes to our working on or with our gifts, we may tend to make excuses, either denying that we have them or giving ourselves over to indolence.

            The denial of gifts and laziness in their employment is a huge problem for the Church. A third problem is pigeonholing. If I am tested and declared to have the gift of service, that exempts me from giving generously, or exhorting, or showing mercy, doesn’t it? The good Sunday School answer is a resounding “NO!” But how often do we excuse ourselves on those grounds?

                I have long suggested that if you see a problem, that’s your cue to try to do something to help solve it, starting by taking it to the Father in prayer. Your part in solving the problem may be to pray for those who are working on it. It might be to donate. It might be to step in and serve. And those things might not be your gift. Sometimes, our role is obvious. If we see litter, we pick it up. In others, it’s not.

            Those taking emergency response courses are told two firm rules. 1) Never put yourself or someone else in danger, and 2) Never do something that is outside of your training/knowledge. These are good parameters in spiritual service as well. They don’t mean that we shouldn’t step out of our comfort zones, but if doing something endangers our relationship with God or with others (or with ourselves) or if it involves doing something we don’t know how to, we need to pray and obey God’s directions, which may well include learning the needed thing. And if God gives us the gift of learning something, then Paul’s pattern for learning that thing would probably be to learn  with thoroughness – and then use it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t