Skip to main content

The Path of The Wind

             As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother’s womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things. (Ecclesiastes 11:5)

 

            Solomon, the author of Ecclesiastes, reigned as the king of Israel from about 970 to 931 BC. It’s 2023. There have been some advances in science over the past nearly 3000 years. We now have computers and other equipment that allow scientists to investigate the path of the wind and how the body is formed in a mother’s womb. We tend to think we have those issued covered, and therefore that we do, can, or should understand the work of God, the Maker of all things. In fact, at least many scientists and those who accept their word as the gospel claim that there is no God whose work can be understood.

            That’s what we think. But for the last two summers, I’ve been paying a little more attention to weather forecasts. I live in hope of decent rain showers, so I don’t have to water my garden. Time after time, the scientists and their computer models tell us rain is coming, and while someone in the area might get it, somehow it misses my yard. It’s almost a standard that if the meteorologist predicts something, something else happens.

            The same is pretty much the case with Human bodies forming in wombs. We claim we know what’s happening but think nothing of aborting those bodies based on the idea that they’re just clumps of cells or that they can’t feel any pain until some certain age, or that they aren’t people until the mater familias declares them to be people and accepts them.

            So, for all our technology and advances in science, I’m not sure we’ve actually come to understand them any better even though we like to think we have. For all we (or I) think we’ve advanced in our understanding of God (and we may have!), especially in any specific instance, we’re probably fooling ourselves.

            This morning, I read a devotional that uses stories about animals as its theme. A woman heard noises under her porch, and she and her neighbor set up a motion sensitive camera to see what was making the noise. Then the woman put out a can of tuna. The woman’s husband knew nothing of this and let their dog out, and the dog enjoyed the tuna. So did several other animals. The conclusion drawn by the writer was that sometimes we go into things with plans of doing this or that, while God’s plan seems to have been to draw the writer and her neighbors closer thought their shared anticipation of the experiment, their enjoyment of nature, and their humor as the plan’s faulty execution unfolded.

            What this all means is that it’s a mistake to think too much of our understanding of nature… or God. We make understand basics, but that is barely the first step. We have miles to go before we get it right. That doesn't mean "give up." It means "Let's get started."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t