Skip to main content

Follow God's Example...

             Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. (Ephesians 5:1-2)

Yesterday’s blog was about God’s love for us. Often, love is described as a desire and commitment to do someone good, but it is also the desire and commitment to a relationship with someone without making that person nothing more than an extension of oneself. It’s one of those two sides of the same coin things. Today’s passage turns the focus from God to us and challenges us to experience God’s love for us and live out love for God and one another.

How are we to accomplish this? After all, God is good at this because God is God, but we aren’t. Different people experience love in different ways. While one person wants to spend hours walking, working, and being together, another would find that smothering. Someone else may want to give gifts that may make the person receiving them feel inadequate because they can’t reciprocate or as if they now owe the giver. One person may want to hold hands, hug, or put a hand on the shoulder of a touch-me-not, speak encouragement to someone who hears empty words, or do something for someone who might consider the activity a rival for the server's attention. All of that is discussed in The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman.

But the other side of the equation is equally important. Our love must not make the other person merely an extension of us, nor should we become an extension of the other person. Extensions are not partners. They are slaves. Part of this means that we must not think of love as meaning that two people must always hold only one opinion. And here’s where we run into a Biblical issue, the misunderstanding of which causes problems: submission. The Bible clearly states that wives must submit to husbands, children to parents, slaves, servants, and employees to owners/masters/employers, and citizens to rulers. It also states that we are to submit to and love one another, but those pieces of the puzzle get lost once submit, submission, or submissive gets mentioned. 

The problem is one of definition. Subcontractors help general contractors accomplish their tasks. They may be far better at the part of the job they do than the contractor. But huge problems develop if the contractor and subcontractor work from their own and not shared blueprints. When it comes to marriage, such wisdom seems to fade away. Differing expectations and plans don't matter. All that seems to matter is attractiveness, sexual prowess, and the ability to make the partner "feel good." In other words, both walk into the marriage thinking of the other as an extension, not a partner. Small wonder that nearly half of all marriages officially fail, and probably at least another half fail without the freedom provided by divorce. Those things are not love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t