Skip to main content

New Creation

             Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! (II Corinthians 5:17)

            We’ve made it one day into the new year. I’ve started my new “I shall come forth as gold” journal. And according to today’s passage, we are new creations. Woo Hoo New! Except we are like Eustace Scrubb in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, trapped in the body of a dragon, and having to peal away layer after layer to free that new self. It can be a difficult and painful process, one that seems to us to take far too long.

Part of the problem is that our focus quickly shifts from being new creations and releasing that new self to pain and disappointment because the change isn’t fast, painless, and complete and it is often unnoticed by the people around us. Worse yet, if they do notice, they might not be as encouraging and supportive as we’d like. The old self seems so strong, and if we’ve had success then lost ground, the self seems even stronger and victory seems twice as far away.

One of the things I keep telling people in the homesteading group is to do what you can where you are with what you have. Given the fact that Christians have the Holy Spirit, we should approach life with assurance. But sometimes, we must take smaller steps. Sometimes, the step we can take isn’t what the experts tell us we should do. As an example, one of my goals is to get healthier and stronger so that I am better able to do all I want to do. Some would begin with requiring that I give up carbohydrates – sugar, pasta, bread, muffins, spaghetti sauce, honey, jam, and jelly…

I just can’t. And some would suggest that I’m being rebellious. But on the way to work this morning, I bought some almonds to grind and put in oatmeal, so at least I’m eating a better carb and almonds instead of peanut butter. And some might complain that by desire to eat healthier isn’t a spiritual goal, but if I am trying to learn to eat in a way that is in line with what God created my body to use, it’s still a step of obedience.

Switching from me to you – what challenges seem too big for you? Is there a smaller challenge that is a step toward it? How will you live as a new creation this year?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t