Skip to main content

God's Love

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39)

One of my struggles with this passage is that it doesn’t explicitly include “us” or sin in the list of things that can’t separate us from the love of God. Implicitly, we and sin are part of “anything else in all creation,” but if I’d written it, I would have wanted to be more explicit on those points. The problem with thinking that anything can separate us from the love of God is that whatever can separate us from His love is more powerful than He is.

A second preliminary remark is a response to the “How could a loving God send people to hell or make them suffer in this life?” Dallas Willard said that Hell is the best God can do for some people. After all, if they want nothing to do with Him, they would not want to be in Heaven. Hell is as absent of God as it is possible to be. And God assures us that the suffering we endure is meant for our well-being, just as a medicine we don’t like is meant to address our illness or its symptoms. And again, if we are the ones who set the standards by which God must act, then we are omnipotent, not He.

But now that we’ve established those things, what does this passage have to say to us today? It may seem silly to point out that it means God loves us. Some say that He’s “crazy” about us, but that suggests that He’s foolish and out of control. His love for us isn’t the sort of infatuation that blinds Him to our failures and frailties. It doesn’t make Him lower His standards. He loves us. He wants what is good for us even if we don’t.

More than that, He wants us. This is what astounds me. I can understand that God is God. He is the Creator. As such, He has certain responsibilities. A man who doesn’t care for the children he sires is considered a “deadbeat father,” but a man who pays the bills and fulfills whatever other duties he may have as a father may not enjoy his children or want them around. Such “distant dads” are often seen as very good fathers, but they don’t have relationships with their kids.

This is not the way God prefers to work. Our relationship with Him and His with us is the key and the point. It is a relationship with some definite boundaries. There are things God doesn’t do to us or for us, and there are things we are not to do to or for God. There are other things that God will or must do to us or for us, and things that we must do to God or for Him – not in the sense that God needs our help, but in the sense that it is the right thing for us to do. And again, that relationship is somehow, astoundingly, ridiculously, unbelievably,  and terrifyingly important to God. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t