So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)
The first
thing I notice here is that this verse never says there’s nothing to fear. The
verses that precede it don’t talk about what the Israelites had to fear. They
focused on what God had done for them. They weren’t to fear _______ because God
had already shown He could handle the situation. But how are we to not fear? Is
fearing a sin? If so, what do we do with the many times angels told people “Do
not fear” Or the psalms in which someone expresses fear? One source I found
suggested that the fear being described is not the instantaneous feeling when
something big and nasty approaches. It’s more a long-term lifestyle. Another
possibility is that we’re not to wallow in the fear, but to overcome it.
The thing is, every one of those
considerations turns the spotlight on the fear, not on God, and not on what He’s
done for us.
Another more point in this. Fear
is an emotion. It’s not exactly something we can simply turn off. And there are
times when fear is probably a good thing. I’m not so sure it’s wise to never
get a “uh, wait a sec, maybe I shouldn’t try to lean in for a selfie” if we see
a six-foot tall, one-ton super-bull (bison) with horns and a major attitude problem.
We probably don’t want to hug a “Queen Anne’s Lace” that’s more than 6 feet
tall (Giant Hogweed) or eat one that doesn’t have “hairy legs” (Water Hemlock).
The passage calls for us to not fear, not to be stupid.
As we feel fear and despite the
fact that we can’t turn it off, we can refuse to allow fear to rule or control
us. And part of how we do that is to keep in mind that just as God was with the
Israelites, and just as He has been with us in the past, He will be with us as
we face the challenges that produce fear in us.
Comments
Post a Comment