Skip to main content

Wonderful Things

             Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law. I am a stranger on earth; do not hide your commands from me. (Psalm 119:18-19)

                 Hikikomori (Japanese): Pulling inward; shutting oneself in.

                I seem to keep coming back to the idea that wisdom is dealing with reality as it is rather than as we want it to be. And in Scripture, we find wisdom that goes even a little deeper, not only describing how reality is, but also how it was designed to be. In the past month or so, I’ve also read at least part of two books that sound alarms about the direction things appear to be going. I have always felt like an outsider, so the mention above of being a stranger on the earth is nothing new.

                It’s the first part of the passage above that causes tension. Do I really want to see wonderful things in His law? How do we know if we’re missing something? Does it take spending 24-hours per day studying Scripture to get to the point where God is revealing those wonderful things? How deeply are they hidden? When we read verses like this, I tend to fall into the “there must be millions of wonderful things, and I’m missing all but maybe three!” I’m sure that the list of wonderful things is more numerous than we realize, but two questions come to mind:

1)       What if the key isn’t in the number, but in the wondrousness of the wonderful things? What if we’re looking to keep count of the millions of wonderful things the size of the ants, and missing the wondrousness of the ten the size of elephants?

2)       Are we really paying attention to and delighting in the wonderful things we’ve already found? Are we responding to the “obvious” ones like loving God with all our hearts, souls, minds, and strengths, loving our neighbors as ourselves, praying for our enemies (have you thought about how amazing that one is?),   the promise that God causes all things to work together for the good of those who have been called according to his purpose, and that God perceives our thoughts from afar? Make your own list of wonderful “elephants” if you wish – do we appreciate them as we should?

The Japanese term above is the word used for locking oneself in a room for months at a time because the stress of everyday life in Japan is too great for some people. I think that even though we may feel driven to find the million ants, we end up closing down to wonderfulness and fail to find any if we are too concerned about our count. Find one and relish it for an hour,  day, month, or even a year. Munch on it and get out every drop of goodness and health you can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...