Skip to main content

Press On

             I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:14)

                But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith.  I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,  and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead. (Philippians 3: 7-11)

                Biblegateway.com seems to be focusing on the theme of victory. But what was the prize for which God had called Paul? Paul described it in the second passage above. It is, as it has been throughout Scripture, the prize of God, Himself.  It’s not the streets of gold, the mansion, the crown, or being right, as wonderful as those might be. There are some people who ridicule and reject the “prosperity gospel” until it comes to heaven and eternity. Then, it’s about wealth as a reward. This is not to say that we won’t get the mansion, etc., but that the whole point is that gold will have the value in our lives of concrete. It’s really convenient to have, but it’s rare that handing someone a chunk of broken paver is going to excite the recipient, especially if there’s no market for it.

                We have the same problem growing up. Yes, we plan to get married and to build a relationship with our spouses, but that gets lost among the house, appliances, cars, vacations, and jobs. Somehow, the people get lost as we seek what we can own and control and seek to get what we cannot own or control but that will benefit the things we can own and control. This is the truth found in the other religions. It’s all about the gods bringing rain, victory, or whatever. And as the Lord pointed out in His teaching prayer (The “Lord’s Prayer”) the Father knows we need these things. But the vast majority of the gods had little interest in people, especially weak, useless, poor, people unless those people were somehow useful or entertaining to them.

                What Scripture tells us is that God was willing to give up the golden streets and mansions in order to give us a way to get to know Him. He puts more importance on including us in His society, and making us fit for that society, than He does on gold, pearls, or mansions.

                One of the benefits of having spent winters at Hillcrest RV Resort was the slow realization that community worked there in ways it didn’t in Erie. That led, indirectly, to a focus on my part on building community. I realized that I wasn’t part of a community, but of several. In the past couple of months, I’ve read at least two books that deal with the collapse of communities, and the need to strengthen and heal them. First, of course, we need to develop our community with God. Then with those who are also in His Kingdom. And thirdly, with those who aren’t in His Kingdom, and even with our enemies. This ties in with Jesus’ teaching, but it also ties in with what Paul says because community with God is what he seeks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...