Skip to main content

Entropy



The creation waits in eager  expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time (Romans 8:19-22)
 

     Energy decreases. Disorder increases. Information is corrupted or lost. Yes, that can describe old age because "old age" is an example of entropy. Want to sound impressive to your friends? The Second Law of Thermodynamics basically says that in a closed system, energy decreases, disorder increases. While I haven't read it specifically, in the process of energy decreasing and disorder increasing, information must be lost. I believe Isaac Asimov was the scientist I heard say that the universe would freeze to death. Over time, entropy will supposedly cause the universe to reach a point where the whole universe will be at the same temperature: near absolute zero(-459oF/-267oC - and people complain about our cold winters!)
                Creation was subjected to frustration. It was placed in bondage to decay. God subjected the universe to entropy. This was done so that it could be brought into the freedom of the children of God. Most people stand in awe of the beauty of nature. These verses set me wondering. What if entropy is a result of our sin? Of course it is, but think about it. All of the glory we see is either the result of the universe being held in check, or perhaps even of the universe being broken. Can you imagine what it would be like whole and free?
      I'm finding I can't imagine it. Would there be no mountains? Mountains are the result of the crust of the earth being made of "plates" and the broken places where those plates meet push upwards. Are they the result of a broken earth? Or would a free earth have even greater mountains? Would there be clear blue skies and 80o temperatures? I hope not. I like snow, I love sunsets that are made beautiful by clouds and I like thunderstorms. Or would we have stronger storms and more glorious sunsets? Would the aurora borealis disappear, or be a world-wide celestial show? I love that last idea.
            I don't know. I wonder if we could survive if it were what it could be. All I know is that right now, it's not what it could be, and it won't be what it could be until the children of God are revealed to be what they will be.  The universe is sitting in the audience, waiting for the curtain to rise. The star of the show is God, but you're part of the supporting cast that the universe is waiting to see.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Birthday of Solomon Rabinowicz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t