Skip to main content

Guard Your Hearts



Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, (Ephesians 6:13-14)


        The function of the breastplate is to protect the chest or heart. For us, the heart is considered the seat of the emotions, but at the time that Paul wrote it, the heart was the seat of the will. Loving God with all your heart wasn't about feelings, it was about making good, firm choices that were based on that love.
         What protects our hearts, our wills? It is righteousness. It is right behavior. Build the habit of doing what is right so that  you don't have to decide. Decide to do what is right because each time you do something wrong, it exposes your heart a little, and a little more, to the enemy. Here's an amusing and minor example of this. I like to play what I call "motivational games."  In the winter if I'm up north, I have a contest with the plow guys that they know nothing about. If I don't get out there right after they go through, they get a point. If I do get out there, I get a point. I usually "win" for the winter. I was missing that in the south this winter, so I finally hit on this idea of putting people's papers closer to their doors, so they didn't have to get their feet wet or dirty to get them. If the person in the trailer or RV caught me, the park gets a point for the day. If not, I get the point. I've discovered a problem with this game: a lack of defensive moves on my part. Even if a person is standing outside, I still have to move their paper, to give it to them. It's not right to snub them to get a point. The park got 2 points last week for that reason. I think I'm going to have to find another game but keep moving the papers.
         Here is something to consider. There are times when people do things that we believe are wrong. Sometimes, they are terrible things. We respond with the idea that they deserve our hatred in whatever way we might choose to express it. What that person did is wrong, so no matter what we do to punish him, we're right and it's justified. Put aside your justifications for a moment. Think about what you are allowing your heart to learn to do. Think about the habit you're developing. Forget about what that other person has done for a minute. Is your behavior righteous? Who is your hatred helping? What benefit are they getting from your wrath?
      I'm not suggesting that the person who does something terrible does not need to be stopped, does not need to be corrected, or even that he does not need to be killed. Any of those things might be a necessary result of what he has done. That's a separate issue. What are you doing to yourself? What are you doing to those you love? What are you doing to that terrible person? How different is it, really, from what they have done. In your anger are you being as evil or more evil than he is?
       For that matter, consider what you are doing when you watch TV, go to the movies, play video games, etc. I have a friend who played a video game in which she was driving a car. I don't recall the details, but for some reason, she would back up at corners. One day when she was driving her real car, she found herself backing up at  a corner. These forms of entertainment might not be "real" but they can teach us habits. What are you learning from what you watch? This is the reason I stopped watching sitcoms. I noticed that they all seemed to focus on insults and ridicule. I began to notice that my own humor was similar and I felt convicted about getting my chuckles by attacking someone else. It's an area that needs work in my life, but I have been trying to make sure that my breastplate is securely strapped in place and that I don't leave openings that will allow my heart to be taught bad habits.
         There's something else to notice about the breastplate. It protects the chest and heart, not the back. We are protected as we stand and face the enemy. We are protected as we move forward, as we act on our will to do what is right. We are even protected if we are pushed back or encounter opposition. We are not protected when we turn to run away. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
National Freedom Day - Anniversary of Lincoln's signing 13th Amendment,

Birthday of

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t