Skip to main content

Gentle? Humble?


“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
                                                                                          (Matthew 11:28-29) 

            Jesus drove the money-changers out of the Temple. He pronounced seven woes in Matthew 23. He rebuked Pharisees, demons and Peter. Jesus told people over and over that He is the only way and that He is God. He is the same God who flooded the earth to wipe out every living thing, who destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, and who unleashed the plagues on Egypt. He is the same God who described Himself as jealous and commanded that we should have no other gods before Him. And now He says He is gentle and humble in heart? Is there a punch line we're missing?
          It's all about the words. Gentleness does not mean "never using any force" because if it did, the gentle person would have to stop breathing and eating. We do not refer to a horse that cannot pull a plow, bear the weight or a rider or inspire us with its grace and beauty while running "gentle." We call it "in need of immediate emergency medical attention." Gentleness has to do with strength under control, strength used appropriately, strength guided by love and wisdom. God is capable of, and would be justified in, wiping out the whole universe and sending all of its inhabitants to Hell. The fact that He provides an alternative means that He is gentle even if many people still end up in Hell.
            Now, suppose that I said "I cannot speak English." Would that be an example of humbleness on my part? Certainly, I can't speak English as well as some people, but to say that I cannot speak English would be a lie. For God to say that He is not God, or to grant permission to others to worship something that is not God in His place is not humbleness on God's part, it is an act of spiritual violence. God does not currently manifest Himself to us in a way that gives us no alternative but to acknowledge His godhood with our every thought. God is humble in that He neither forces Himself on us nor lies to us with regard to Himself. God reveals Himself to be gentle and humble in a way that is gentle and humble. For that I am deeply grateful. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
On the Calendar:
Whoopity Scoorie Day
Anniversary of the establishment of Yellowstone National Park.

Birthday of Frederic Chopin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...