Skip to main content

Who Will Bring A Charge?


What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. (Romans 8:31-34)
 

         If you've watched court procedural shows or read the books, if you've watched Judge Judy or one of the civil court reality shows, you've seen it. The person making the charges often lists as many possible charges as possible, in hopes that if the plaintiff is not found guilty of the greater charge, the lesser charge will "stick." They hope that if the larger settlement is not granted, that a smaller one will be. They are shrewdly determined to get some satisfaction out of the proceedings.
       I used to think the answer to "who can be against us?" was "No one," but that's not the case. The name Satan means "Adversary." I believe he will act as the prosecuting attorney at the judgment seat, and he will throw every charge he can at every one who has ever broken even the "smallest" of God's laws. If any of them can be proven, then the greater crime of treason has also been proven. It may be a good thing God has eternity in which to do this.
        I don't think Satan will be alone. He will have witnesses. Jewish law requires at least 2 witnesses. Some will testify because it is their duty. Some will testify because they hate the defendant. Ultimately, Satan can call the Trinity as witnesses. After all the testimonies and been heard and the evidence reviewed, it may come down to this: each one of us will be found guilty and then for some of us, Christ will step forward and say that the punishment for this one has already been accomplished, the price has been paid and we will be freed.
       There are some people who believe that God will speed up this process. He might simply not allow us to be summoned to the judgment seat. Or He might look at Jesus when our name is called, and if Jesus nods His head, the Father could pound His heavenly gavel and say "not guilty by association." Both these are possibilities, but there's part of me that loves the drama. Imagine being in the courtroom and watching as in case after case, God's justice and character, His mercy and wisdom, His kindness, glory, and perfection are revealed. 
   +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On the Calendar: Snow Moon

Birthday of

Edna St. Vincent Millay
George Washington

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...