Skip to main content

Love, Hate and Politics


“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect" (Matthew 5:43-48)
 

         Civility doesn't seem to be one of the hallmarks of our society, thanks to a large extent to political correctness. But with the presidential election about as long from now as it takes a baby to gestate, rhetoric and emotions are ramping up like a pregnant women's hormones (or at least like a bad case of PMS) along with the campaign season. It looks as if anger is going to be all the rage and hatred the measure of our love. If anyone dares question the vitriol, they kindest thing they hear is that the hated ones are our enemies. They are out to hurt us or kill us, to force us into a Dark Ages mentality. It's us or them, and if we don't win, it's all over - not even God can turn it around....
       Into the midst of this propaganda, what does Jesus say? Love your neighbors and your enemies. Pray for those who persecute you. Be perfect as God is perfect (and He blesses both the good and the evil).  
        Not accept - love.

               Not tolerate - love.

                        Not include - love.

                              Not coddle - love.

                                      Not agree with - love

                                             Not give in to - love

                                                    Not attack - love.

                                                            Not hate - love.

                                                                    Not stand and watch in silence - love
            What does Jesus say about those who pick sides in their loving? What does He say about those who love their friends and hate their enemies? They're like the pagans.
        It's not easy. It is simple.
          The person for whom you vote is a decision that you should make in consultation with God. I'm not going to suggest who that candidate should be. I am going to suggest that God has already told us the sort of candidate who should not be given our vote: any candidate whose campaign is based on hate. It is entirely appropriate that candidates should speak about the qualifications in comparison to the qualifications of the other candidates, and should express how their philosophies differ. It is entirely appropriate for candidates to remind us of their opponents' positions and stands. A candidate whose life and campaign show a hatred of God or a hatred of people (or groups of people) or whose rhetoric inspires others to hate is not one for whom we should vote.


           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t