Skip to main content

if a man rolls a stone, it will roll back on him


Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.
                                                                                    Psalm 119:89
If a man digs a pit, he will fall into it; if a man rolls a stone, it will roll back on him.
                                                                                    Proverbs 26:27 

            According to Prof. Bart Ehrman (University of NC at Chapel Hill) there are more textual variations in the manuscripts of the New Testament than there are words.[1] If you accept what he says without thinking and investigating, you'll likely join him in thinking that the Bible is unreliable, that Psalm 119:89 is a lie.
            One of the reasons that there are so many textual variations is that there are so many manuscripts. There are 274 Uncial[2] manuscripts, 2555 Miniscule[3] manuscripts and 2280 Lectionary manuscripts. There are 10 thousand non-Latin translations  and 8000 Latin translations (Vulgate). In addition, there are more than a million quotes in the writings of the Church patriarchs. Some of these date back to the second century. In comparison, there are 643 manuscripts of Homer's the Iliad, the earliest of which was copied 500 years after the original.
            The professor concludes that because there are so many variations (one writer claimed half a million) it is impossible to know what the New Testament originally said. The first problem with this claim is that it doesn't account for the types of variations involved. Many of them are as simple as spelling changes, transpositions of letters or words, omission of a word because the words around it either begin or end similarly or other unintentional copy errors that do not change the meaning of the text. The second problem with this claim is that because we have so many manuscripts, we can compare them and build "family trees" with them, this allows us to watch the changes take place. We can follow them back as geneticists the human genome and determine that some of us of European stock have Neanderthal heritage.
            Very few of the variations are described as substantive and meaningful. They do not change the meaning of the text in a way that changes any major doctrine. When you read a study Bible, you may find notes on some passages saying something like "This passage is not included in some early manuscripts."

            At this point, we have no reason to say that it's impossible to know what the original manuscripts said. We have strong reason to believe that we know what the vast majority of the text said, and where there is question, we can know there is question. The reason we have that strong reason is precisely because of his claimed reason we should doubt it.
            To those who wish we had the originals, Daniel B. Wallace (a leading expert on ancient Greek) suggests that it is a good thing we don't, because it's likely they would be treated as relics: venerated but not examined.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Birthday of Adolf Hitler



[1] Ehrman, Bart, Misquoting Jesus:The Story Behind Who Changed The Bible and Why. (San Fransisco, Harper San Francisco, 2005) p.10.
[2] capital letters only
[3] capital and lower case letters

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t