Skip to main content

It's A Ghost!


            Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, but the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.
            During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
            But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
            “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
                "Come,” he said.
            Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
                Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down.

Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.” When they had crossed over, they landed at Gennesaret. (Mark 14:22-34) 
            How often have you heard (or said) something like, "Yeah, Peter, where was your faith?" When we're in our armchair, it's easy to coach the team. John Ortberg wrote a good book called, If You Want To Walk On Water, You Have To Get Out Of The Boat. He points out that at least 11 others didn't have the faith to try.
          My own question is probably worse. I want to know where Peter's mind was. They disciples were in the middle of the sea in a storm. Someone saw something. Someone identified that something as a ghost. The ghost said, "Take courage! it is I. Don't be afraid." Peter had the sense to at least say, "Lord, if it's You..." So, are ghosts generally considered trustworthy? Is it likely that a ghost has Peter's best interests at heart? If it has lied about who it was, is it likely to then say, "Oh, no, wait, Peter. I was just kidding. Stay in the boat?" 
            Peter had the faith to trust that if it was Jesus, he could walk on the water. He got out of the boat. Perhaps the first two or three steps were easy. Perhaps not. He may have had to climb a wave, or slide down the other side of the wave. I suspect that somewhere along the line, a wave rolled over his path, soaking up to the knees and drawing his attention back to the insanity of what he was doing. When his faith failed, he called to Jesus for help. That's a lesson we all need to learn.
             I tend to believe I would be like the other 11 disciples. I am afraid to get out of the boat because I don't know it's Jesus out there walking. It could be a ghost pretending to be Jesus. It could be the ghost of my own ego. I suspect I'm more like Thomas. I want proof it's Jesus, a written guarantee and an engraved invitation. With every step, I want my path to light up and, oh,  once I put my foot on that water, the winds and the waves...they're supposed to be gone. Is that too much to ask?
            Apparently, it is. That is not the way God has worked in my life. His leading by the Holy Ghost seems to always require that I climb out of my safe boat without any of that, trusting that if I'm wrong - if the ghost isn't so holy - that God will not only be able to rescue me, but willing to when I've been so foolish as to trust Him when He wasn't "him."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On The Calendar:
Paul Revere's Ride
San Francisco Earthquake (1906)

Birthday of
Clarence Darrow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t