Skip to main content

Something Fishy


                One day as Jesus was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret, with the people crowding around him and listening to the word of God, he saw at the water’s edge two boats, left there by the fishermen, who were washing their nets. He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little from shore. Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat. When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.”
            Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.” When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink.
            When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken, and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon’s partners.
            Then Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid; from now on you will catch men.” So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him. (Luke 5:1-11) 

            This passage is called "the calling of the disciples." Often, we're given the impression that one day, out of the blue, Jesus showed up on the beach, preached a sermon, performed a miracle and invited four men who had never seen Him before to abandon their careers - and they did. But yesterday, I shared with you that John the Baptist had identified Jesus as the Messiah, Andrew had met Jesus and brought Peter to meet Jesus.
      In John 1:43-51, we're told that the day after Peter met Jesus, Jesus called Philip and Nathaniel to follow him. In John 2:1-11, it says that "the third day" Jesus and His disciples were at the wedding in Cana where Jesus performed His first miracle (2:11). There are other events described that may have happened before the sermon on the seashore or the calling of the four, but at least 4 days separated Jesus' introduction to Peter from Peter's leaving his nets.
            There are two examples in this passage that are classic Peter to me. The first is that when Jesus told them to let down their nets, Peter said, " Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets."  Peter, the fisherman, knows the sea. He knows fish. It's the wrong time of day, they haven't had any luck. They're tired. I hear some doubt, a little backtalk, and reluctant obedience - with perhaps a little "I'll humor Him, but He'll learn," thrown in.
           And then they caught fish, and he said, "“Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!" Was he more sinful after the fish were caught than before or just more aware of his sin? Also, in case you forgot, they were in a boat overloaded with fish, at a considerable distance from shore. Just where did Peter think Jesus was supposed to go to get away from him? (Walking on the water happened later.)
          Like Peter, we're sometimes tempted to tell Jesus, "You don't understand." Sometimes when we go along with what the Bible tells us to do, we do so "just knowing" it won't work. Like Peter, we sometimes get to see ourselves a little more clearly when we obey. The miraculous catch of fish no doubt proved useful to the four families, but it wasn't about the fish. It was about who Jesus is, and who the disciples were. That is what obedience is still about.
            And if our reactions aren't quite according to some religious handbook somewhere, well, that is apparently OK, too. Obedience is required. Perfection is not. When they got to shore, Jesus didn't say, "James, John, Andrew, follow me and I'll make you fishers of men. Peter, you're too sinful. You keep mending your nets."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t