Skip to main content

Telling Stories


 And when your children ask you, ‘What does this ceremony mean to you?’  then tell them, ‘It is the Passover sacrifice to the LORD, who passed over the houses of the Israelites in Egypt and spared our homes when he struck down the Egyptians.’ ” Then the people bowed down and worshiped. (Exodus 12:26-27) 

        Today is International Children's Book Day and the birthday of Hans Christian Anderson. If you read the Bible, you'll find God repeatedly commands His people to share with their children and grandchildren what God did for them. Telling children good stories that will help them grow up to do what is right is just part of being a good parent. Sadly, I've heard two heart-breaking responses too often.
            The first is that people don't want to influence their children in one direction or another. It's a bad response because it's a lie. By "not influencing" you are influencing at the very time when the influence has its greatest impact. Most people choose to "not influence" by withholding information and isolating the child away from others for fear of contamination. It's also a bad response because it is inconsistent with the rest of the child's training. One doesn't "not influence" a child with regard to good hygiene, good manners, education, food, potty-training, safety or even walking. Why would one "not influence" a child with regard to something as important as their soul and eternity?
          Fortunately, that sort of irresponsibility is not generally practiced among Christians. The other sad response is more universal. I've used both versions many times. Years ago I was at a motivational meeting and the man in the front of the room said, "Someday, you'll be up here telling your story." I got in my car after the meeting and cried all the way home. I told God, "I don't have a story." God corrected me that night by bringing to mind the story of my life at that time that didn't seem to be a story to me. He's shown me over the years since that I was both right and wrong. I don't have A story. I have lots of stories. Some are true. Some are imaginary.
         The other response that I hear is "Oh, they wouldn't want to hear my story." The implication is that "my story" is boring and unimportant. I've been told this when I asked to hear someone's story in my genealogical research. When this happens, I usually  mention someone like my ancestor Colonel George Palmer Ransom. He spent most of his life as a farmer and soldier. For the most part, those are not really "story worthy" professions, but he is honored in my family because of the stories that are known about him.  Our lives are boring to us because we know them, but within those boring lives are priceless tales if we are willing to look. This is why I encourage people to write stories about their lives and to keep journals.
      It's true that kids who aren't brought up hearing family stories are likely to find  stories that we find boring and tell poorly to be boring as well. All the more reason to start practicing telling or start writing them down now. You'll get better at telling them and someday, they may be interested again. If we don't record the things God is doing in our live and teaching us, we are cheating ourselves and the next generation of that treasure.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On The Calendar
International Children's Book Day
Birthday of
Hans Christian Anderson, Frederick August Bartholdi, Emile Zola

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t